Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

moved to installshield 2008 and still bugs!!! - URGENT

hi all,
earlier i had issues with the sql server 2005 wth advanced services prerequisite. I thought if we move to installshield 2008, it still does not work.
please see the prerequisite below and please try to give me a solution...

It is urgent as i said to my boss that it will work in installshield 2008!!!

Error message: The installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services has failed. Setup will not exit. 😞

please see my eariler post as well -> http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?t=175262

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(32) Replies
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Can you post a screen shot of the failure dialog? I need to see if this is a Prerequistes failure dialog, or a dialog from the SQL Express setup.

If it is the Prerequistes dialog, the problem is that the SQL Express setup, after being installed, is not meeting the conditions set up in the Prerequiste.

Setup Prerequistes evaluate the conditions to see if the Prequisite is required, and run them again after the Prerequisite is installed to verify the installation succeeded.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=errorkq8.jpg <-- error message

it shows failed in the prerequisite window and setup exits.

Basically i need to run sql server everytime setup.exe is run as installshield can not check if the instance of my databaserver has been created.

U said to run the prerequisite to check if installs then it might not work as i don't have any registry key to check if the instance has been created. Please suggest something else.

One more thing. The setup of sql server works fine with no conditions in it. But my boss has particularly asked me to have one installer for all languages (english, french and german). There are three versions of sql server and i want to run the corect installer for each one (example, french installer should run in french, german in german and for all other languages run english). Its pretty sad that its not working with conditions...

Thanks for the reply
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Try setting the option in the attached image...
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Mike Marino wrote:
Try setting the option in the attached image...

thanks mike for the email. it works this way but what will happen if the sql server gives an error. will the installation still continue or installshield will quit installing the application (as our application needs sql server)?

thanks again for the reply
sunny
0 Kudos
MorrowLess
Level 4

It will ask if you want to continue even though the install failed and it will allow you to exit the setup right away.
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

That is the problem with not having a File or Registry condition that tells if the exe has been installed or not.

I know for our Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Setup Prerequiste we look at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SQLEXPRESS\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion

CurrentVersion

with a version LESS than

0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Mike Marino wrote:
That is the problem with not having a File or Registry condition that tells if the exe has been installed or not.

I know for our Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Setup Prerequiste we look at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SQLEXPRESS\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion

CurrentVersion

with a version LESS than

i can not have it as the sql scripts needs the instance of my database running. So if i run the setup of sql server, it makes sure that there is instance of my database and it is running.

So just confirming, if i change the prerequisite setting to what you have recommended, the setup will abort if the sql server gives error during installation.

thanks
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Ideally you just need some key you can check to see if your instance has been installed or not.

Once you have a key that allows you to test if your instance exists or not, you should be able to set the Behavior to Abort the setup. That will casue the setup to abort if the prereq condition is not met after an install attempt is made.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Mike Marino wrote:
Ideally you just need some key you can check to see if your instance has been installed or not.

Once you have a key that allows you to test if your instance exists or not, you should be able to set the Behavior to Abort the setup. That will casue the setup to abort if the prereq condition is not met after an install attempt is made.

yes there is usually a key which tells if the setup is running, but my dba asked me specially to run the setup always. so if the setup of sql server fails, will the installshield abort the setup or continue (with the recommended settings)?

thnaks
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

We have no way to detect the difference between a failure and a successful installation if you do not use a condition. If you use the Continue the setup option, the setup will continue if the Setup Prerequiste fails.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Mike Marino wrote:
We have no way to detect the difference between a failure and a successful installation if you do not use a condition. If you use the Continue the setup option, the setup will continue if the Setup Prerequiste fails.

i understand what are you saying. can you please suggest how should is accomplish the following with one installer for sql server 2005 express edition:

french installer should run in french, german in german and for all other languages run english.
installer should quit if there is an error.

thanks alot for all your help
sunny
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

You would need 3 Setup Prerequistes, with conditions to install them in the correct cases.

Unfortunatley Setup Prerequistes do not have a built in conditions for OS Language.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Thanks Mike...

my french and german prerequisites work but the english one crashes 😞

anyone out there in the whole wide world... plzzz help me out to fix the issue!!!!
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Does the EXE you are launching for english work OK outside of the Setup Prerequisite when calling it with the same command line you used in the Setup Prerequisite?
0 Kudos
jedimaster_mark
Level 7

s26f84 wrote:
http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=errorkq8.jpg <-- error message

it shows failed in the prerequisite window and setup exits.

Basically i need to run sql server everytime setup.exe is run as installshield can not check if the instance of my databaserver has been created.

U said to run the prerequisite to check if installs then it might not work as i don't have any registry key to check if the instance has been created. Please suggest something else.

One more thing. The setup of sql server works fine with no conditions in it. But my boss has particularly asked me to have one installer for all languages (english, french and german). There are three versions of sql server and i want to run the corect installer for each one (example, french installer should run in french, german in german and for all other languages run english). Its pretty sad that its not working with conditions...

Thanks for the reply

Well, this is strictly true, but that's why they made custom actions. We have an installer that checks whether our SQL instance exists. All you need to do is make a CA that uses WMI to check this. Also, if you opt to install it with your installation of SQL Server, you could have SMO at your disposal. With a little creativity, you could accomplish this easily enough.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Mike Marino wrote:
Does the EXE you are launching for english work OK outside of the Setup Prerequisite when calling it with the same command line you used in the Setup Prerequisite?

it does work... its with conditions it crashes 😞
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Can you post the screen shot you get when it crashes? I am curious to what aspect is crashing.
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Are you testing this with all 3 of your prereqs in the same installation? To narrow down the crash, I would build a simple MSI, with just the one prereq that is causing the problem, and see f the promblem persists.

If you have a support contract, or are willling to open a paid incident, you might consider running this past one of our support people. That may get a resolution faster.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Mike Marino wrote:
Are you testing this with all 3 of your prereqs in the same installation? To narrow down the crash, I would build a simple MSI, with just the one prereq that is causing the problem, and see f the promblem persists.

If you have a support contract, or are willling to open a paid incident, you might consider running this past one of our support people. That may get a resolution faster.

the attached file shows the error... As asked i created a new project with only sql server and its prerequistes... but it still crashes 😞

How can i know if we have a support contract with installshield??
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

This is not a crash dialog...this dialog just indicates that one of the conditions set in the prerequiste were not met after the installation.

Our support people can tell you if you have a contract or not...just contact them using the form at...

http://esupportus.macrovision.com/
0 Kudos