cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josephine
Level 5

how to install file to system32 on 64 bit machine?

I'd like to install a plain text file to the system32 folder on 64 bit machine. Is this doable?

I tried both [SystemFolder] and [System64Folder], the component is installed to SysWow64 instead of System32.

I marked this component as "64bit", that does not help either.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
josephine
Level 5

More info:
this is basic MSI project, so i could not use:
disable(WOW64FSREDIRECTION)
0 Kudos
DWillis
Level 5

Don't mark anything as 64-bit as that tells the installer that it IS a 64-bit install, and not a 32 bit.

the best way is to simply build a 32-bit installer, and it'll install as a 32-bit application on the 64-bit machine.
0 Kudos
josephine
Level 5

Right, but the problem is if I mark it as 32-bit, it will also install the file to syswow64 instead of system32.
I guess my question is, how to turn off WOW64FSREDIRECTION in a basic MSI project? thanks.
0 Kudos
DWillis
Level 5

josephine wrote:
Right, but the problem is if I mark it as 32-bit, it will also install the file to syswow64 instead of system32.
I guess my question is, how to turn off WOW64FSREDIRECTION in a basic MSI project? thanks.

Is the application a true 64-bit application or a 32-bit application being run on x64?
0 Kudos
josephine
Level 5

mainly a 32-bit application being run on x64, but that file needs to be in system32 folder for a 64 bit driver to work for restricted user.
0 Kudos
DWillis
Level 5

josephine wrote:
mainly a 32-bit application being run on x64, but that file needs to be in system32 folder for a 64 bit driver to work for restricted user.

Well, it's kind of hard to help you decipher if we don't know these types of details. If that file is a 32-bit file, windows isn't going to allow you to place it in the system32 folder... If its a 64-bit driver, then that will be installed in the system32 folder and should be treated as a 64-bit.

it sounds to me like you need to install the driver seperately as a 64-bit install, and then install the 32bit application.

That's what I would do, and then chain the two installs together, with the driver install being a prereq.
0 Kudos
josephine
Level 5

Thanks for your explanation.

I made a separate install for 64bit, and it solved the problem.

Trying a single install for both 32 bit and 64 bit just would not work.

In template summary, I marked it as "Intel, x64" and it would always direct to syswow64.
Now I set it to be just "x64" and it can be installed to system32.
0 Kudos
DWillis
Level 5

josephine wrote:
Thanks for your explanation.

I made a separate install for 64bit, and it solved the problem.

Trying a single install for both 32 bit and 64 bit just would not work.

In template summary, I marked it as "Intel, x64" and it would always direct to syswow64.
Now I set it to be just "x64" and it can be installed to system32.

Glad to hear you got it worked out. 😄 Now if only I can figure out what's going on with my filter driver install. :cool:
0 Kudos