cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay_Bard
Level 3

how do i call a simple executable?

How do I call an executable from installshield?

I was trying several approaches.
i created a new custom action,
and then NEW EXE,
and i tried each of the 4 types,
and nothing happens.
it never runs my program.
perhaps i just don't have the sequence in the right spot.
i wish this wasn't so darn complicated.

I do not really want to deal with scripts,
and i found the launch... function, but don't quite know where to put that code. i thought the custom action seems like the right place to put it.

am i missing something simple?
thanks Jay
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The launch-an-EXE action type should do the trick; are you scheduling the action in one or both of the sequences? Is it an EXE you're installing, or one just for temporary use?

Running ICE validation on your MSI after building can help track down some issues with action scheduling, too.
0 Kudos
Jay_Bard
Level 3

RobertDickau wrote:
The launch-an-EXE action type should do the trick; are you scheduling the action in one or both of the sequences? Is it an EXE you're installing, or one just for temporary use?

Running ICE validation on your MSI after building can help track down some issues with action scheduling, too.

specifically, i want to call another installer after my install is done. i was trying to run the quickbooks foundation class installer (QBFC4_0Installer.exe), which i include on my distribution. i also tried to include the quickbooks merge module which would be easier, but i'm not getting the right verison.

anyway, i just want to run that installer. can you give me the steps to do that?
i dont see "launch-an-exe" action type
under custom actions, i see NEW EXE, then 4 choices in how to find the EXE. not sure which one to use.

then what do i put for "install UI sequence" and "install exec seq"?
thanks
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

One possibility is to create a "setup prerequisite"; it can install the other product before yours, if that's appropriate. You won't need to worry about sequences, with that.

Otherwise, it might be worth experimenting with a simpler executable, such as Notepad.exe. In general, actions that touch the target system should be scheduled for deferred execution in the Execute sequence, but if the other installer is also MSI-based, that's a problem since only one MSI Execute sequence can run at the same time.

(You'll generally also want to give the action a condition such as "Not Installed" to ensure it runs only during the initial install and not uninstallation, but first things first.)
0 Kudos
Jay_Bard
Level 3

i dont want a prereq because the program doesnt get installed until after the first installation.
it's more like a followup to the installation.
and since it also uses installshield,
then i guess it has to wait until after the first installation.
so how do i queue it up to run after my installation?

how did installshield get to install .net installer an also sqlexpress during my installation??
doesnts make sense why this should be any different.

the purpose of this is to make the job of the enduser easier, not give him more steps to do.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I believe .NET and SQL Express installers are implemented as setup prerequisites (setup.exe looks somewhere to see if they're already installed, and if not runs the appropriate redistributable before the main product).

Do you know if the other installer is MSI-based or not?
0 Kudos
Cromagnon35
Level 4

Under 'Custom Actions' create a 'New EXE' (installed with product).

Sequence it after Install files as a deffered action if you want it to launch automatically, or simply tie it to a button event (I do something like this for SQLExpress install) for launching it.
0 Kudos
vhr1975
Level 2

Hi,

I have a Basic MSI installer. How were you able to link you custom action that calls a simple EXE to a button?

Vhr
0 Kudos