cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrislynn5
Level 6

custom dialog - trial

I'm trying to create a custom dialog box but assumed that I should be able in edit drag an item (i.e. checkbox) to the dialog and it show up? Is that not how that works? I can not add a control tot he dialog?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
pmatlock
Level 6

If you are trying to do it through Visual Studio, good luck...I was not able to. I had to open up a new project through InstallShield and create my custom dialogs.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Custom dialogs would be edited through InstallShield in the Dialogs view for InstallScript or MSI projects. Note that to add new controls, the control type is selected from the toolbar, then click and drag on the dialog to add and initially size the control. Just clicking or clicking and dragging a control from the toolbar as the Visual Studio dialog editor supports is not available with the InstallShield dialog editor.
0 Kudos
chrislynn5
Level 6

Some more info. This is in the Installshield IDE for 2010. Not in VS.
And if I attempt to "grab" a control from my toolbar and drag it, that produces nothing on my working area of the new dialog???

It's like the demo won't allow it???
0 Kudos
pmatlock
Level 6

As Josh explained, you can't drag the control unto the dialog. You need to click on the control, and then go to your dialog and 'create a box' or area where you want to place/size the control
0 Kudos
chrislynn5
Level 6

Ok, I now realize that the software's IDE doesn't do drag and drop, it has some other non-standard way to add a control.
How can i accomplish that "create a box", the help is almost useless and I do not see a reference to this at all. I see command help suggestions, etc???

I can click on the radio box control and go to my dialog, but I do not see by right clicking or reviewing toolbars/menu items a way to place?

My suggestion is do drag and drop, the coding behind that is not a huge leap for any developer to add to this software.
0 Kudos
chrislynn5
Level 6

Ok, I just rebooted and found that I can create all other controls on my dialog, but a radio button? That control will not add to my custom dialog.
0 Kudos