in the release wizard i've found no option for make a single .msi
thanks in advance for help
Frank
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(18) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For a Basic MSI project, you should be able to select Media Type "Network Image", Release Configuration "Compress all files", and leave "Create installation launcher (setup.exe)" unselected.
0 Kudos
FrankG2012
Level 4

Thank you Robert for your reply,but for a Installascript MSI project?
is it possible to create a single MSI file?
thanks in advance
Frank
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I forgot which version of InstallShield added it, but please see [thread=200190]this thread[/thread] for a setting that should help.
0 Kudos
FrankG2012
Level 4

Thank you Robert for your reply but i don't understand how to resolve my question.
I've read some documents about the question "how to create a single .msi file",but i haven't resolved the problem
the flag "create setup.exe" is impossible to select during the release wizard process after selected compress all files
can you help me?
thanks in advance,and excuse me for my english if i don't write well...
Frank
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

You can build an InstallScript MSI project as a single MSI, without setup.exe, with the InstallScript User Interface Type setting, shown in the following picture, set to New Style. I forget which InstallShield version introduced it, so it may not be present in InstallShield 2010.

There's also the technique described in KB article Q108166, but it's less attractive.
0 Kudos
FrankG2012
Level 4

Many thanks Robert.
I want inform you that my Installshield 2010 version don't include this option.
Do you know which version introduce this parameter?
I must upgrade my version?
thanks in advance!
Frank
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Hmm, that setting is described in the InstallShield 2009 documentation, so it seems it should be in your version. If you search your version's documentation for "embedded UI", does anything turn up?
0 Kudos
FrankG2012
Level 4

I haven't found anything about "embedded UI" Robert,can you help me to search the option "Installscript user interface type" in my version of Installshield 2010 premier version 16 service pack 1?
thanks in advance
frank
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I'm afraid I don't have a copy of InstallShield 2010 nearby. Perhaps you could post a screenshot of the General Information view for your InstallScript MSI project?
0 Kudos
FrankG2012
Level 4

Hi Robert
please see file cattura.jpg attached
thank you in advance!
0 Kudos
FrankG2012
Level 4

Robert,the setting now is in the Screen
it doesn't appears i presume if the project is in origin developed with a old version of Installshield,and the new installshield have converted it to the new release
Can you confirm this?
thanks!
Frank
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

What version of InstallShield are you upgrading the project from? I don't have firsthand experience with upgrading earlier InstallScript MSI projects to show this setting, but the InstallShield documentation section Getting Started > Upgrading from Earlier InstallShield Versions might have some information on the topic.
0 Kudos
FrankG2012
Level 4

Hi Robert
the version of InstallShield where i upgrading the project from is: InstallShield 10.5 Premier Edition,an old version in effect...
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The bottom of the help topic "Upgrading InstallShield 11.5 or Earlier InstallScript MSI Projects" seems to have some information about deploying without setup.exe (but as I say, I haven't tried the conversion myself).

If you re-convert the original old project to the new InstallShield version, you might check if the log shows any information or warnings related to the UI style.
0 Kudos
FrankG2012
Level 4

Ok Robert,i'll see
Many Thanks!
0 Kudos
palanisamy
Level 7

Hi FrankG2012,

InstallshiledMSI Project type does not able to release as Single.msi file, single .msi release possible only on BasicMSI project type.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Actually, that's no longer the case: please see [thread=200190]this thread[/thread] for more information.
0 Kudos
palanisamy
Level 7

Hi RobertDickau,

Thanks for providing information on MSI release in installscriptMSI project.
0 Kudos