cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mans
Level 3

could not find dependent file

Hi!

One of the primary outputs of my setup Project contains a .net dll that in turns references various other dll:s. For some reason these dll:s are not found when building the setup Project. I get the following warnings:

5>ISEXP : warning : -6248: Could not find dependent file avcodec-53.dll, or one of its dependencies of component Slurp.Primary_output
5>ISEXP : warning : -6248: Could not find dependent file Awesomium.Core.XML, or one of its dependencies of component Slurp.Primary_output
5>ISEXP : warning : -6248: Could not find dependent file awesomium.dll, or one of its dependencies of component Slurp.Primary_output
5>ISEXP : warning : -6248: Could not find dependent file awesomium.dll, Awesomium.Core, Version=1.7.0.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e1a0d7c8071a5214, or one of its dependencies of component Slurp.Primary_output
5>ISEXP : warning : -6248: Could not find dependent file awesomium_process.dll, or one of its dependencies of component Slurp.Primary_output
5>ISEXP : warning : -6248: Could not find dependent file avformat-53.dll, or one of its dependencies of component Slurp.Primary_output
5>ISEXP : warning : -6248: Could not find dependent file avutil-51.dll, or one of its dependencies of component Slurp.Primary_output
5>ISEXP : warning : -6248: Could not find dependent file icudt.dll, or one of its dependencies of component Slurp.Primary_output
5>ISEXP : warning : -6248: Could not find dependent file inspector.pak, or one of its dependencies of component Slurp.Primary_output
5>ISEXP : warning : -6248: Could not find dependent file libEGL.dll, or one of its dependencies of component Slurp.Primary_output
5>ISEXP : warning : -6248: Could not find dependent file libGLESv2.dll, or one of its dependencies of component Slurp.Primary_output

All these files are located in the primary output directory of the named Project and none of them are registered in the registry. What is going on?

I am using the "InstallShield 2012 Spring Limited Edition"

/MÃ¥ns
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Please refer the below kb article for more information on this warning:
http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q109065

Below are some possible workarounds to get rid of this warning :

1>instead of adding the "Primary Output" of a VS.NET project, it is possible to simply directly add the files built for a VS.NET project.
2>Manually include the files identified in the warning messages during the build process before building.
3>Copy the dependent files identified in the warning messages during the build process to the respective .Net installation directory under C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\

you can also eliminate these warnings by disabling the .net scan at build property of the primary outputs by following below steps:

1>Expand "Specify Application Data">double click on Files view
2>Right click on included primary outputs under destination computer's files section>Click on properties
3>Click on COM & .Net Settings
4>Select None or Properties only under Scan at Build option under .Net Properties section>Click on ok.
5>Build the project

Thanks
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
mans
Level 3

Thanks for answering!

I still do not understand though. The dependent files ARE in the correct folder so why can't InstallShield see them? I can get the setup Project to build without errors if I directly add these files as you mention in your post but I really should not have to do that. It seems to me to be a rather basic piece of functionality for a setup Project to include all referenced files.

What am I doing wrong here?

/MÃ¥ns
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Dependency analysis tools ( and other profiling tools ) are good for gaining datapoints in making your own analysis of how an application works and what it's runtime / deployment needs are.

Please note that there are no tools which can accurately detect your application dependencies. The best a tool can do is make suggestions. This is why most setup developers determine the dependencies themselves and manually include them in the installer.Some times dependency scanners may assume dependencies are missing eventhough they are not required in the project.

If you know your code, for example "quartz.dll" then confirm that:

1) It's redistributable 2) It's doesn't already have a deployment solution ( For example, System.Windows.Forms gets deployed by the .NET FRamework Install ) 3) Author it into your install manually if needed. 4) Turn off dependency scanning and repeat this process for all of your dependencies.

Thanks
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
mans
Level 3

Well, that may be so. But, since it is complaining about not finding the dependent dll:s apparently it figured out that it needed them. Otherwise I find it hard to believe it would complain about not finding them. So, the question remains. It says it cannot find the dll:s even though they are in the same directory as the assembly it says depends upon them.

/MÃ¥ns
0 Kudos
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello,

Can you try adding the path of the dependency file to environment variables on the machine and check if that helps?

Thanks ~ Swetha
0 Kudos
echavez
Level 2

Sorry for barging in but this isn't the case in Visual Studio since 2005! We never had "dependency issues" using Setup And Deployment Projects!

This rather simplistic tool (the original/built-in in VS2005 - 2010), did/does what you are saying "no tools". This is now a big time drain on VS 2012 since ISLE is the only option. This should be filed as a *bug* for the aforementioned.

Additionally, -6248 is tagged as a warning?? Why? How can this setup/install possibly work without the missing dependencies? Shouldn't this be a fatal error?

chiranjeevi wrote:
Hello,

Dependency analysis tools ( and other profiling tools ) are good for gaining datapoints in making your own analysis of how an application works and what it's runtime / deployment needs are.

Please note that there are no tools which can accurately detect your application dependencies. The best a tool can do is make suggestions.
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Could you please provide us a replicable sample project to move further investigating the issue?
So that we can test the provided sample and will be able to forward the findings to our engineering team to validate this issue as a bug.

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos