cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roger_hurst
Level 5

conditional installs

This ought to be a quick question/response.
I have multiple components with the same named contents, each set of components to be conditionally installed on different platforms. I didn't have a problem with two sets of components. When I added a third set, the source folder for the new set of files was added as a subfolder to one of the other source folders, instead of on the same level as the other two. Can you please give me a hint as to what I'm missing. Please sooner than later--I only have today (28 Dec) and tomorrow to complete this.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
roger_hurst
Level 5

Found the answer. When the component is created, installshield gives a drop-down menu to specify the destination of the files in the component. When you select from that menu, installshield generates a New_Folder variable under the covers. It's not obvious what the value of that variable is.

In that same view, there is a "Source Location" line which ostensibly is the name of a subfolder in the product layout where the files will be stored at build time. The documentation isn't clear as to whatfolder is the parent of that subfolder.

It turns out that the Source Location subfolder is tied to the New_Folder variable created under the covers. You have to go to the Directories table to determine what folder is the parent to New_Folder. Once I corrected that association, I got the results I wanted in the build.
0 Kudos