cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thangap
Level 4

command Line argument for setup.exe

I could provide the command line argument for setup.exe in Media->Releases->Release 1 for an upgrade installation to be "REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus"

The upgrade runs successfully. But the fresh installation is also being invoked with these command line parameters and the installation completes without copying the files or installing the product becoz the files are not copied.

I just went through the log uninstallation is done first and then installation... seems to be more like minor upgrade but the window screens for installation is like fresh. pretty confused now.

Please direct me to the right direction.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
thangap
Level 4

Basically,

I would want the setup.exe file to have command line arguments as REINSTALL=ALL and REINSTALLMODE=vomus for upgrade

and

without any arguments for fresh installation.

A double click of setup.exe should proceed differently for upgrade and fresh installation. (not through command prompt)

Thank you.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you define a minor upgrade item in InstallShield's Upgrades view, setup.exe will take care of passing those properties in for an upgrade install but not a first-time install.
0 Kudos
thangap
Level 4

Thank you Robert.

I had the minor upgrade, but still the MSI command line arguments for setup.exe fails in fresh installation and goes well with upgrade.

The installation asks for license agreement and everything goes well. but just the files are not being copied and therefore the exe doesn't run.

Did i miss something? Any anyother clue?

Thanks
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you use a minor upgrade item with setup.exe, you don't need to set the REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL properties in the setup.exe properties (in the Releases view).

There's also an upgrade validation wizard (in Build > Validate) you can use to catch potential problems with component settings and so on.
0 Kudos