cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
biohzrdmx
Level 2

Windows 7 ¿Support?

Hi, i'm using an evaluation version of installshield 2010 and i'm getting some errors, and I hope you can help me, please:

First: I'm running the app on windows 7, and the IS version is 10 service pack 1 with the hotfix 52410, everything installs ok, but when I launch the IDE (isdev.exe) I get an scripting error from the start page: Automation server can't create object. on line 133 of Assistants.js. After checking the source of that file i've found that these line tries to create an object of type IsProxy.Proxy, so i've opened regedit->HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT->IsProxy and... the key is locked!! I have no permissions to see its values (wich could be a security feature but continue reading...).

So i tried installing it on Vista, on a virtualbox machine... no errors, even the registry keys aren't locked, everything is ok. The same under XP SP2, but not on Seven. Every key related to installshield object's (mostly from OCX and DLL registration) is locked, and there is only one process that can modify or delete them: The installshield 2010 installer.

I don't know what could be wrong, maybe an error in IS component registration? or an MSI error? The fact is that i can't use the IDE under win7, and this is a heavy limitation (to create a package i MUST use the virtual pc). Also I've checked the install log (in TEMP folder) and there are no signs of a faulty setup, i've tried Repair, Reinstall, Clean Install and nothing. Win7 may be the problem? Please, if some of you are using IS2010 and Win7, could this be an isolated problem?

Recently I've tried with IS 2009 but its the same, I can't use the IS IDE and i don't like the idea of using it from inside visual studio.

So i'm asking for the community's help, If, someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the english d(>.<)b
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
rguggisberg
Level 13

The IS2010 SP1 IDE is working for me on Windows 7 Ultimate.
Are you an Administrator on the box?
Try right clicking on ISDEV.exe (or your shortcut) and select 'Run as administrator'.
I don't have to do that, but I am an administrator on the box.
I do have UAC turned on (set to 3rd of 4 levels).
I did have a problem with the downloaded SP1 and had to get another download from Flexera support. IF none of the above works for you I can try to look up the details of my incident to see if they match yours (I don't remember).
0 Kudos
biohzrdmx
Level 2

Hi, thanks for the reply (and sorry for the DELAYED response but i'm very busy right now) and yep, i'm running it on an administrator account, and i've tried the 'run as administrator' thing, and nothing. I'm pretty sure the error is directly from the setup (but I don't know if it is an IS or Windows 7 issue) and if you say you've gotten another installer from the support then i might try that, but please remember that I haven't purchased the software yet, i just want to evaluate it, so: does that solution may apply for me? or is it only valid for registered customers?

If you want to try to reproduce the error, i've used the SP1 installer on Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bits): just install, run and wait for the 'Script error' message (it is an Internet Explorer error message box that describes the scripting error, i just don't have an screen cap to illustrate it but i'm pretty sure you know what kind of message box it is 🙂 ) right after (or during) the splash screen. I've tried with IS 2010 and IS 2009 and installed the English locale (my PC has an Spanish Windows, just FYI).

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and your time, it would be very helpful if you send me your incident details, but it is not necessary. Ah, and I promise to post newer repplies ASAP!!
0 Kudos