cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepakd
Level 4

build error (ISDEV -6423)

I’m having a build error (ISDEV -6423) when building a major upgrade in Installshield 2013. I’ve googled for it and have not come up with anything.

Here’s what we’re attempting to do: we’ve been issuing minor upgrades via patches for years. There is a ton of manual and tedious work we do to get these patches, but they work.

Now, we want to issue a major upgrade and generate a new MSI instead of a patch. The error we get is:

ISDEV : error -6423: The project contains a Minor Upgrade item that references the setup J:\10.0\src\Client.msi.  However, the referenced setup can only be upgraded with a Major upgrade.  Please use the Major Upgrade item or the automatic upgrade item.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
skrueger
Level 6

You say you want to create a Major Upgrade. The error message sys that you configured a Minor Upgrade instead. Please double check the Upgrades section in your project. You may need to remove the Minor Upgrade item and replace it with a Major Upgrade entry.

Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org / InstallSite.de
0 Kudos
deepakd
Level 4

@skrueger 

The item that I listed in the original message (J:\10.0\src\ISWIAdvancedClient\Release\Patch10_12_2\Compressed\Execute360 Client.msi) is a minor upgrade. There are 40 other minor upgrades in this installer and I got 40 other similar error messages that reference the old minor upgrades. I just chose one to show an example. It doesn’t seem to make sense to remove this old Patch10_12_2 (and all others) to change them to major upgrades since those are old releases that we’ve already sent out as minor upgrades.

Now, we want to issue a major upgrade and generate a new MSI. We are not going to ship patches any more. So, I added a major upgrade like this:

• Changed the product code
  • Added a major upgrade. Used the options: ‘products sharing my upgrade code’ and ‘any earlier version’
  • Added a new Release

When I try to build it, I get the error -6423. I also changed the options on the major upgrade to ‘products having another upgrade code’ and chose the existing upgrade code GUID. Same error.

0 Kudos

FYI: I'm the original person who opened this case. My coworker created the case for me.

FYI: And there was a suggestion to upgrade from IS2013 to IS2023. I have done that and I get the same error.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @gbergero2 ,

What changes you did on the ism file after upgrading to IS2023? 

Just upgrading to IS2023 without any changes, building the project you are seeing this error?

Could you please share the build log, and ism file as well.

Did you tried the suggestion provided in below Kb article, 

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Build-Error-6423/ta-p/3748

Please try the Kb for build erro 

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Build-Error-6423/ta-p/3748

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @gbergero2 ,

You can also create a new case with support by following below steps,

Login to community portal, please navigate to Get Support > Open New Case in the top menu and open a new case to track this issue if you would like to proceed with having this issue addressed? That will allow us to best track this issue in order to best assist you.

0 Kudos

Thank you for the quick response. I will be opening a case but my account doesn't have privileges to do so. I emailed support@flexera.com to upgrade my account to be able to create a case.  In the mean time...

I made no changes to the ISM project. When I first got the error I was using IS2013. Then I upgraded to IS2023 and loaded the ISM - which converted it to IS2023 format then tried to build and got the same error.

I've attached the requested files. Note: there are 3 other errors in the LOG that only showed up when compiling with IS2023. I imagine those will be resolved easily enough.

I looked at that link for error 6423 and it doesn't seem to apply or make sense in our situation. Yes, the errors indicate there are minor upgrades in the existing project. However, I created a brand new major upgrade (10.24.1) that I want to build. It doesn't make sense to delete those old minors and change to a major upgrade. 

Is this scenario allowed? Can I create a major upgrade after previously shipping minor upgrades?

0 Kudos

For some reason, it won't let me attach an ISM file, so I zipped it...

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @gbergero2 ,

No error is observed with attached ism file, when we build just the ism file,

Take a back up of your ism file, then try deleting the minor upgrades and build only with major upgrade and verify the error, 

You also try to build with minor upgrade and major upgrade by deleting only one by one  ex:from recent added minor upgrade, and try building and verify.

0 Kudos

Thank you for the tip about deleting the minor upgrades. I haven't tried that and it seems possible but it is concerning about what it means for future builds. Yes, we will only be issuing major upgrades in the future but will there be any downsides to removing these minor upgrades when we generate a new build?

You don't get any errors when you build just the ISM file. How can that be? The project has tons of references to other merge modules that I did not provide. Speaking of builds: does it matter which way the project is built? There are at least 3 ways that I see it can be built:
- The 'Build' button in the ribbon bar right at the top of IS2023.
- Choose Releases > Choose the Major Product 10.24.1 > Choose the Major Release 10.24.1, right click and choose 'Build'
- Build from the command line with: iscmdbld -n -p Exclient.ism -r "Major Release 10.24.1" -b <build location> -c COMP -o <MergeModuleLocations> -e y

0 Kudos