cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

application configuration is incorrect

Hello developers,

My application fails to launch on a clean XP Vista box when I create the deployment in InstallShield.
I create a Basic MSI project. I use the dependency scanner in both the Project Assistant and the Installation Designer, and add all recommended merge modules and objects.
When I install the project on a test machine, I get “This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem” error.

So then, I go to the “Program Files” directory that my application is at- instead of just the short cut from the Start Menu, to try and launch the application. I get a similar error that’s a teeny bit more specific “C:\Program Files\CoName\ProductName\ProductName.exe
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.”

However, when I create my project deployment in Visual Studio, and install with their msi file, that application installs and runs fine. Furthermore, if I install the package created with VS, and then install the package I created with InstallShield, the Install Shield package runs fine as well.:eek:

This tells me that I’m missing some kind of dependency in rolling everything together using InstallShield. Whats the best way to go about troubleshooting this problem?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

one thing to check since you say you can create an installer through another method that works, is to compare the contents of the two directories.

I have most often seen this behavior in applications where the applications config file is missing. The file usually has the same name as your executable with .config at the end. i.e.: ProductName.exe.config. Confirm that this file is being installed and is the same for both installations.

James
0 Kudos
Not applicable

I threw Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable in as a pre-req, and that seemed to fix it.

Thanks
0 Kudos