cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mumbles
Level 7

XML File Changes Subnode issue

Hello All,

I'm experiencing an issue here where i'm able to edit some nodes, but not others. I can't place the real XML here due to security reasons, but i can give the general idea as to what's happening:

-

Value updates in nodes 1 and 3 are working fine. However, i node 2 isn't being updated at all. This is an xml file installed with the product. It's only updated during install. All the other nodes around it are working fine.

I suspect a subnode with terminates with a /> vs. a closing tag is the culprit. Does anyone else have experience with this issue?

TIA!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
mumbles
Level 7

oh, and if it matters it's a vs.net web.config file.
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

Anyone? 😞
0 Kudos
skolte
Level 7

Can you post a sample file and what you are trying to update? I can give it a try..I have written several installers where I had to update XML in one or more files, mostly I depend on InstallScript for XML modifications.
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

I should also mention this is a basic MSI project. I can't post the real XML file as it's against company policy but furthermore it's in a secure room far from my desk and i can't print or write it out either.

Ugh. Security companies.
0 Kudos
skolte
Level 7

Well, do you want to use node names (node1 node2 etc) to lookup the nodes or do you want to use key value pair (value1="blah" value2="blah"), so something like lookup a key with 'value1' and replace the value there?
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

The node names are unique.

I use the import function to import my XML file. This is a pretty accurate portrayal of the file:

-

Node 2 is a subnode of Node 1. It's Node 2's value which is experiencing the issue.

TIA!
0 Kudos