cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

Windows 8 Shortcuts on Start Menu

I found this on the 2012 Spring forum. I am having this exact problem and this solution is not doing it for me.

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?205856-Win8-Start-Screen-Shortcut-is-not-pinned-why&highlight=windows+8+shortcut
There it was suggested...
This is what I did to pin a shortcut to start screen on Windows 8 system.
Define the shell properties for the shortcut to be pinned to start screen.

Click the + sign on Shell Properties.
Key Name will be defined, accept the default keyname it generated.
Expand the Key name, property and value will be displayed.

Enter {9F4C2855-9F79-4B39-A8D0-E1D42DE1D5F3},12 for the property setting.
Enter 1 for the value setting

Do this for each shortcut you want to pin to start screen.

Elizabeth.

What is the significance of
{9F4C2855-9F79-4B39-A8D0-E1D42DE1D5F3},12
?
I tried that and setting the value to 1 and I still do not get the shortcuts on the Start menu.
Thanks for your ideas.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Per a quick Internet search: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/jj553605(v=vs.85).aspx

Setting this to 1 is supposed to prevent the shortcut from being pinned to the start screen. Note that Windows 8.1 changed the behavior such that the opposite case (not telling Windows to hide the shortcut) no longer results in a pinned shortcut, and thus for the time being a value of 1 is redundant with the default behavior with no clear way to request the opposite.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Sorry... I meant Windows 8.1. I have no problem getting the desired behavior on Windows 8, but on Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 I can't get the shortcuts on the Start menu. I have:
'Pin to Windows 8 Start Screen' set to "Yes"
I get the same result (Shortcut on desktop and in Apps, but not on Start menu) if I use any of the following 3 scenarios:
1. No Property
2. Prevent Pinning (System.AppUserModel.PreventPinning) = 0
3. Prevent Pinning (System.AppUserModel.PreventPinning) = 1

Not sure I want to mess with it. If I make it work for Win8.1 wouldn't that mean that it won't work properly for other OS's?
Also, do you think there's a possibility that Microsoft will change the behavior to revert back to the way it used to be.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't know of a way for an installation to pin a shortcut to the start menu on Windows 8.1; I also don't expect them to change this back. (But since I could not have predicted the first change, I don't want to imply I was given a crystal ball here.)
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Ok... Thanks for looking into it Michael. I will leave it at that. Works for me for now.
0 Kudos
martinbo
Level 2

rguggisberg wrote:
Ok... Thanks for looking into it Michael. I will leave it at that. Works for me for now.

Hi rguggisberg, how did you make it work on Windows 8.1?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Well that was a long way back and for a previous employer, so I can't check now to guarantee that it was correct. I think what I did was:
Pin to Windows 8 Start Screen = Yes
Under shell properties set
Property = {9F4C2855-9F79-4B39-A8D0-E1D42DE1D5F3},12
Value = 1
Good luck!
0 Kudos