cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Holger_G
Level 10

Windows 7 (build 7100): 'Unknown' Publisher UAC prompt, Multilang Basic MSI

Hi,

I receive a 'Unknown' Publisher UAC prompt on Windows 7 RC running a signed Basic MSI Setup that contains more than one UI languages from Setup.exe.

Holger
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(14) Replies
mgrieb
Level 3

We had the same with our install that is also a basic msi wrapped in a setup.exe. It was because we are signing our exe as part of our build process. However, the Signing tab of the Release in IS gives the option to signthe Windows Installer Package. That eliminate the 'Unknown' but there is still a prompt which shows the publishers as Trusted.

Anyone know how to eliminate that prompt?
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

Both, .msi and .exe, are signed using the built-in signing feature. The problem occurs only when running Setup.exe and if the setup supports more than one language. Running the .msi works fine.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

So the same scenario yields a signed (instead of unsigned) prompt on Windows Vista? Is Windows 7 more picky about signatures vs. transforms? The only difference I can think of in the multilanguage case is a transform is applied.
0 Kudos
mgrieb
Level 3

I'm don't know about Holger_G's issue, but in our case, the prompt comes from the msi and is displayed in the middle of the execute sequence. This prompt does not appear in Vista at all (either signed or unsigned).
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

MichaelU wrote:
So the same scenario yields a signed (instead of unsigned) prompt on Windows Vista? Is Windows 7 more picky about signatures vs. transforms? The only difference I can think of in the multilanguage case is a transform is applied.

Yes, our QA did not report any issues with Vista yet.
What I´ve not tested yet is to launch the .msi with msiexec.exe and applying a transform to it. Will do that tomorrow at work.

Problem seems to be more Windows 7 related. Applying a transform using msiexec.exe results in the same problem.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'll see if we can find out anything. As a preliminary guess, based on your report, it sounds like it's a behavior change on Windows 7. Maybe we can learn if it's intentional and if there's a good way to handle the language transform case.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Our contact indicated that the application of unsigned transforms will now intentionally invalidate the (runtime) signature of the .msi to which they're being applied. As this is new to Windows 7, which IS2009 doesn't officially support, I don't expect we will address this for IS2009; we're tracking it under IOC-000080958 for future releases. However as a workaround you can sign your .mst files in an uncompressed release. Let me know if your testing shows otherwise. 🙂
0 Kudos
ChandanOmkar
Level 8

have you checked with vista??
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

MichaelU wrote:
Our contact indicated that the application of unsigned transforms will now intentionally invalidate the (runtime) signature of the .msi to which they're being applied. As this is new to Windows 7, which IS2009 doesn't officially support, I don't expect we will address this for IS2009; we're tracking it under IOC-000080958 for future releases. However as a workaround you can sign your .mst files in an uncompressed release. Let me know if your testing shows otherwise. 🙂

Great information Michael, that works for us. I will add a post build step to our automated build process to sign the transforms.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

MichaelU wrote:

Michael, is it possible to build a Self-Extracting Executable Setup File for a Basic MSI media from the Command Line (like the ReleasePackager.exe tool for IScript projects)?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If you're building the entire media (i.e. rebuilding the whole project), yes, you can always choose that build option. But otherwise, no, we don't offer anything that can do this right now.
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

Okay, that means I need to use a 3rd party tool or so to create a selfextracting executable of an uncompressed release (incl. signed transforms) or IS 2010 if I need to provide such a selfextracting package, right?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yes, that is correct. You're targeting Windows 7 systems and not using IS2010 already? :eek: (Just kidding! Mostly.)
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

MichaelU wrote:
Yes, that is correct. You're targeting Windows 7 systems and not using IS2010 already? :eek: (Just kidding! Mostly.)

Just PM me a valid license key then I will make use of it, premier preferred of course :cool:
0 Kudos