cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jstarbird
Level 5

Windows 2012r2 running basic msi cannot access domain controller for user validation

Hello,
we have two basic msi installers that have suddenly started having a problem with Windows 2012r2. Both installers have not been touched in almost 2 years so it appears to be Windows update but we have been unable to find the issue.
What is occurring is that when you get to the Logon Information dialog InstallShield cannot connect to the domain controller. The computer this is on is on the domain, it's not a new system and these installers have run before on them. The user running the installer is a admin on the system and it so happens is also a domain admin.
If you enter a valid domain user in the User Name box, so somedomain\someuser, and enter the users password and click next or if you select Browse and try to find the user you will end up getting an error which says:
Server not Found. Verify that the specified server exists. The Server name can not be empty.

I've tried entering the fully qualified name to the server, no luck, just keep getting the same error. This is only happening to these two apps but they are the only ones using IS 2013.

Thanks,
Jon
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
jstarbird
Level 5

I tried updating the installer to 2014 and hit the same issue.
0 Kudos
timhodgson
Level 3

jstarbird wrote:
I tried updating the installer to 2014 and hit the same issue.

I have the same issue reported by one of my customers installing our product. No idea what it could be.
Why no answer from Flexera?
0 Kudos
kolotik
Level 3

0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Computer Browser service is disabled by default on Server 2012 R2.
0 Kudos