cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandon_Lowe
Level 6

Windows 10 Program Compatibility Assistant dialog, Please help

Hello all,
I have an install that we have been using for many years, it is MSI with some installscript and installs over 10,000 files. Anyway it has worked fine for years and works fine on everything up to Windows 8.1. I have now updated our installshield to 2015 and when we install on Windows 10 Enterprise it looks like it is installs fine and the app works fine but after clicking finish on the install I get the Program Compatibility Assistant dialog asking if the program installed correctly. How do I keep from getting that message? I have run the setup as admin and that did not help.
Any help would be great.
Thank you
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Is this installation launched from a setup.exe built with InstallShield or directly from an MSI? The setup manifests used in all setup.exe's built with IS 2015 were updated to include the Windows 10 application compatibility GUID. As such, it should not be possible for the PCA dialog to appear after installing from a setup.exe. If the installation is launched directly from an MSI, this could explain the behavior if the MSI is failing to install successfully. A verbose log of the install may provide additional information if a failure is occurring.
0 Kudos
Brandon_Lowe
Level 6

We use our own setup.exe that launches the MSI directly. This is done because we have other things that are installed prior to our app. Is there a way to add some thing the the command line that launches the MSI to keep from getting this dialog?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The setup.exe you are using needs to include an application manifest that includes the Windows 10 compatibility GUID in the list of supported OSes. The following MSDN article includes an example manifest that lists Windows 10:
Targeting your application for Windows

You can also look at the manifests that InstallShield builds into setup.exe's built with the product. The following manifests in the \Program Files\InstallShield\2015\Support folder all include the Windows 10 compatibility GUID:
setupexe.admin.manifest
setupexe.highest.manifest
setupexe.invoker.manifest
0 Kudos