cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElDavo
Level 3

Win Inst 4.5 Prerequisite Installation Woes on Vista

Howdy All,

I'm attempting to make an all-in-one setup.exe installer in IS2010 that chains 3 other msi files.

The prerequisites for the installation are: Windows Installer 4.5 (for chaining), .NET framework 3.5 and SQL Server 2005 express (I'm using the SP3 version.)

On XP, the installation appears to run fine, installs the prerequisites and the main application.
On Vista, it installs Windows Installer 4.5 (as the 1st prerequisite), then restarts (fine.)
Then it tries to install Windows Installer 4.5 *again*, and fails. I tell it to continue, then it tries to install SQL Server express and fails (I did create my own prerequisite copy of the SQL Server express prerequisite and make it install with a basic interface only and some command-line settings to try to cut down the installation for clients (/qb ADDLOCAL=SQL_Engine,SQL_Data_Files,Client_Components,Connectivity INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER) which could have been involved in it failing.

If I ignore the failure, I can get into the main installer msi and it will try to install its chained msi files.

I guess my main beef is with the standard (untouched) vista Windows Installer 4.5 prerequisite for Vista - it did install correctly (hence the ability to chain), but it did not detect that it installed correctly.

Any ideas why this might be the case, out of the box? Has anyone else had these problems with prerequisites that may be able to help me?

Thanks,

David
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
ElDavo
Level 3

OK, have delved into it further.

The standard prerequisite for Windows Installer 4.5 for Windows Vista (x86) in 2010 has the condition for running being that msi.dll in the system directory is < 4.5.6001.22303. More research: this version is for WinInst 4.5 running on Vista SP1.

After the successful installation of the WinInst 4.5 prerequisite, the actual version of the file is: 4.5.6000.20955 (or WinInst 4.5 running on Vista (no SP1)) - obviously this is never going to satisfy the prerequisite condition. I'd suggest changing the file version to the earlier version in the prerequisite to avoid the prerequisite continual attempts to install on someone's PC who hasn't updated (or somehow ensure Vista has SP1 installed?)

I think the SQL server installation failure was related to some other versions of SQL Server being installed, and me using INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER instead of INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS. I'll get back to proving that now 🙂

Cheers,

David
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. The version check on msi.dll is incorrect if you are installing on a Vista RTM machine. I have attached the corrected .prq file to this post within the .zip file. The updated prerequisite will check for version 4.5.6000.20955 of msi.dll and only install if the version of the file on the machine is less than that.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
maforshaw
Level 5

Thanks, do you have an updated file for the x64 version? That looks to be incorrect as well?
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

I have attached the corrected 64-bit version of the prerequisite to this post.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
osumatt
Level 3

You probably should put these updated prereqs in the known issues webpage. I was just looking around at all the posts on this forum and I happened across this issue. If I hadn't looked at posts over the past month, my customers would have found this issue instead of me.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Great idea. We'll create a KB article that contains the updated .prq files, and add links for them to the known issue KB article. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Hi,

Why don't you deploy all the new fixed PRQ files and the known issue hotfixes through the installshield software manager?

That would be a whole lot more convenient than having to browse through the forum or through the KB.

Regards
0 Kudos
SGorman
Level 3

Reureu wrote:
Hi,

Why don't you deploy all the new fixed PRQ files and the known issue hotfixes through the installshield software manager?

That would be a whole lot more convenient than having to browse through the forum or through the KB.

Regards

I can't emphasize enough how frustrating it is that hotfixes and other updates like this are so hard to find. I'm really flabbergasted that there isn't a single update page, KB article or download from which I can browse the available hotfixes and updates and choose the ones I need.
0 Kudos