cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danho13
Level 4

Win 10 : Warning 1946

Hi All,

I've got a weird issue on a few Win 10 test machines where I am getting a message box for "Warning 1946". The specific text is as follows :

Warning 1946. Property '{9F4C2855-9F79-4B39-A8D0-E1D42DE1D5F3}, 12' for shortcut '' could not be set.

As I understand it, this issue was originally specific to Win 7 machines when an installer was trying to set a shortcut to "pin to win 8 start screen".

I have set the value for "Pin to Windows 8 Start Screen" to false on my shortcuts within the InstallShield IDE, but the issue persists.

What else can I do to ensure that this warning doesn't show up?

Regards,

Dan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Pin To Windows 8 Start Screen really only applies to Windows 8 (in Windows 8.1 shortcuts were no longer pinned by default). Since Windows 10 did away with the Start screen that was introduced in Windows 8, and shortcuts are not pinned to the new Start menu by default, this property is unlikely to have any effect. (On a side note, this shortcut property's functionality was so limited it was never really worth using. For example, if your product was ever installed on a user's machine, and the user changed the pinning of a shortcut with or without this property, any subsequent installations of the product could not control whether the item was pinned or not; the user selection was always remembered, even if the product was uninstalled.)

Unless this installation is expected to be run on Windows 8 machines, it would probably be best to not set this option in the project. If it has already been set, go to the Direct Editor and select the MsiShortcutProperty table from the table list. Then look for any instances of properties with a PropertyKey value of '{9F4C2855-9F79-4B39-A8D0-E1D42DE1D5F3}, 12' and delete these rows.

The upcoming release of InstallShield removes the Pin To Windows 8 Start Screen setting from shortcuts and instead lists it as a regular shortcut property in a shortcut's properties list. This list allows for deleting any shortcut property without having to use the Direct Editor.
0 Kudos
danho13
Level 4

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try that. I had noticed most of these things in regards to the property and had come to the conclusion that it was probably some weird MSI problem :). Anyway, we expect to install our software on Win 7+, but we don't really care about that particular property so I see no reason to have it set.

Thanks again.

Dan
0 Kudos