cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandersonpj
Level 5

Why does Quickpatch need the original msi file?

I have developed a medium sized package delivered as an InstallShield 2010 msi/setup.exe package.
I want to patch a single exe file within the package so I used Quickpatch to produce an update.exe file.

Now whether I have installed the original package from a CD or across the network (or even from a local harddrive) when I do the update it insists that the original .msi file is available.
I can think of several reasons why this msi will no longer be present - so how do I produce a patch that does not need the orignal msi file to be where it was when the original installation was done?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
sandersonpj
Level 5

Curiouser & curiouser.

My application has two main functions entered by separate (Windows) Start Menu entries.

As an experiment I made minor changes to two executable files – one for each entry point.

I created two separate Quickpatches each containing a single fixed executable for the two entry points.

I then separately applied each Quickpatch.

When the base product is installed the products folder in Program Files contains about 50 files.

When a Quickpatch was applied and before either entry point was selected the number of files in Program Files was reduced to about 15 – most of the executable files (exe’s and dll’s) were no longer present.

When either entry point was then selected a message box appears saying “please wait whilst <..> is being configured” and (as long as the original msi file is available) things seem to sort themselves out and all works again ......

Except:-

If I do the Quickpatch for entry “B” and then run Entry “A” neither the patched executable I have produced in Entry “B” nor its former version is present and so Entry “B” will not function as some of its code is now missing.

But if I do the Quickpatch for Entry “B” and then run Entry “B” all is OK and the updated code is present.

???
0 Kudos
sandersonpj
Level 5

Curiouser & curiouser.

My application has two main functions entered by separate (Windows) Start Menu entries.

As an experiment I made minor changes to two executable files – one for each entry point.

I created two separate Quickpatches each containing a single fixed executable for the two entry points.

I then separately applied each Quickpatch.

When the base product is installed the products folder in Program Files contains about 50 files.

When a Quickpatch was applied and before either entry point was selected the number of files in Program Files was reduced to about 15 – most of the executable files (exe’s and dll’s) were no longer present.

When either entry point was then selected a message box appears saying “please wait whilst <..> is being configured” and (as long as the original msi file is available) things seem to sort themselves out and all works again ......

Except:-

If I do the Quickpatch for entry “B” and then run Entry “A” neither the patched executable I have produced in Entry “B” nor its former version is present and so Entry “B” will not function as some of its code is now missing.

But if I do the Quickpatch for Entry “B” and then run Entry “B” all is OK and the updated code is present.

???
0 Kudos