cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HermanvandenBer
Level 3

Size of installation file

I've been using InstallShield for a while to create installation CD's for a program. I had a problem with deleting dynamic links so decided to delete the files loaded manually from the installation instead. The problem is that the setup.exe has grown to 1.1Gig whereas the folder containing the dynamic link files is only 640Mb! I have not added any files to the installation and only removed files but the installation size has increased from 680MB to over 1GB. How is this possibel and what can I do to rectify this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
HermanvandenBer
Level 3

Anybody that can help me?
0 Kudos
MSIYER
Level 8

What project type are you working on?
Could you please explain the deletion part of your problem?
Where are you deleting the files from?
And what problem you had in deleting dynamic links?
0 Kudos
HermanvandenBer
Level 3

I deleted all files added to the installation folders that were not added as part of the dynamic links and that caused the installation file to grow.

I've sorted out the problem in the meanwhile. I've had to remove all linked folders and linked them again and suddenly all was well (installation now less than 600MB). It does look like a bug to me.

To be honest what irks me is that I did not do anything wrong, and when I phoned for assistance I was told that I don't have a support contract so they can't help me on the phone. I then bought an upgrade from 2010 to 2011 hoping it would sort out the problem - no luck. $300 wasted. I tried to post here in the hope to get some support but it looks like very few people actually look at the posts here. OK, I've got that of my chest now.
0 Kudos