cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MBLance
Level 4

Where to get new MSM files for Visual Studio 2008?

I was working on a Basic MSI installer, and on a clean Windows 7 machine, my application would not run after installation.

The problem was that even though I had included merge modules for VC 9 CRT and VC 9 MFC, the policy files were not picked up in the dependency scanner:

The clean Win 7 machine only had VC 9 CRT manifest and policy files, and no MFC files. The version of MFC my app thinks it needs is 9.0.21022.8 and for some reason the manifest file I get for Basic MSI projects is 9.0.30729.1.

With no policy file present to allow the version promotion, nothing worked. I manually added the policy files, and the problem was fixed.

In the process of fixing the problem, I noticed something that seems odd, and I do not know how to fix it:

In my Basic MSI project, the manifest and policy files for VC 9 come from two different places - MSM files for version 9.0.30729.1 manifests are from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules. MSM files for version 9.0.21022.8 policy files come from C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009\Modules\i386.

Where can I get MSM files for version 9.0.30729.1 or later policy files?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Hi MBLance
I have the same problem and the way I get around it is to run the vcredist_x86.exe before I run my own install.
This is of course unacceptable, so I need to do what you did.
Could you go through the steps required to manually add the policy files.
Thanks a lot,
Mike
0 Kudos
MBLance
Level 4

Carrolls - In Installation Designer, I selected the "Redistributables" icon under the "Application Data" node. In the dropdown "Object types to display:" at the top, I selected "Merge Module" just to clear away some of the clutter. I then went down the list and selected the policy entries that would correspond to my manifest entries.

In my case, my manifest entries are version 9.0.30729.1, but my policy entries are for version 9.0.21022.8. The policy and manifest files seem to carry the same files, so I ended up with a set of files for both versions. Since my manifest dictates 9.0.21022.8, it worked out for me.

If I had a proper policy (publisher configuration) file for the newer version, I would not have needed the older version. I am still curious as to where to get a publisher configuration file for the latest version.
0 Kudos
bykgard
Level 2

I'm having a similar issue. I need version 9.0.30729.6161 for the MFC files but InstallShield has 9.0.30729.1. How can I update the merge module files? I've tried loading the vcredis_86x.exe file on the computer that won't work but it hasn't made a difference. I need the x.6161 file. How do I get it??
0 Kudos