cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlenMiller
Level 3

Where to get latest VC90 merge modules?

We've updated our InstallScript projects to install the latest VC90 CRT & ATL dlls (9.0.30729.4148), using the latest vcredist_x86.exe - no problem.

However, I can't find merge modules to update our MSI projects. I see following files under my installshield folder:
* Microsoft_VC90_ATL_x86.msm
* Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.msm

These install the correct files, but are not the latest version.

I see the following under C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Merge Modules:
* Microsoft_VC90_ATL_x86_x64.msm
* Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86_x64.msm

These are the latest version, but don't install the correct files (they are the amd64_ versions).

I don't think I can use vcredist_x86 in our MSI as we need to deliver an .MSI file, not an .EXE.

Where can I get updated versions of the _x86.msm files?

Thanks...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
ddlittle
Level 2

I don't think there are any published .MSMs for Vs/2008SP1. I think the .exe is the only 'official' way to go, although you can extract vc_red.msi from the exe and use that.:rolleyes:

- Regards,
- David
0 Kudos
Alpesh
Flexera Alumni

I believe if you install VS2008 SP1, it will install the updated merge modules. But the names are the same. Install VS2008 SP1 and check if you see the latest merge modules.

Thanks,
Alpesh
0 Kudos
GlenMiller
Level 3

We had to uninstall & reinstall VS2008 with the redistributable component selected (we couldn't modify the existing install once we had installed SP1). Once we had the necessary components installed, you are correct - applying VS2008 SP1 and the ATL security update then updated the MSMs on the system so they stay up-to-date with the compiler.
0 Kudos