cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Where is this "Template Summary" property?

I installed the package for Visual Studio 2015 and added my single file COM DLL server to the package. But after building and running the "Install" command (from the Visual Studio 2015 shortcut menu for my Setup1 project, I get an unknown HRESULT (-2147220472). I can dismiss that error and the installer proceeds and I get a HRESULT of -2147220473. Again, an unknown error (Error Lookup fails to find a message).

I checked the log file and the first problem that shows up is "Error loading ISBEW64.exe ... File does not exist". I also see that the installer is still trying to install in the X86 prgram folder. I also get errors failing to registery my DLL. I had to remove the setting where I used the primary program output because I couldn't find "Self Registering" on the file's COM property page and specifically point to the fully qualified path to my DLL to get that to show up.

Hoping the root issue is the bit-ness, I used Help and found "64-Bit Windows Installer Packages". There it tells me to change the "Template Summary" property. But where is that? I have the General Information page up. I did find the 'INSTALLDIR' and set it to [ProgramFiles64Folder]. But I see nothing that looks like it would be the "Template Summary" property. Searching on-line I found a reference for an earlier version of Flexera that says it is under Summary Information Stream. But I only have Title, Subject, Author, Keywords, Summary Information Stream Comments, Schema and Require Administrative Priviledges.

I cleaned and rebuilt hoping that the version I have simply keys off the INSTALLDIR property but I got the same results.

I've been searching all the settings to find the property but have failed. So where is this property? I'm hoping if I can find it and change it per the Help topic, setup will succeed. Oh, and ISBEW64.exe simply isn't on my machine. So I have little faith it will be on an end-user's box.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

I brought up my InstallShield 2015 SP1 and see the Template Summary field under Summary Information Stream under General Information.

You mentioned installing some package for Visual Studio 2015. Is that InstallShield Express or Limited Edition by any chance? - It doesn't sound like that is InstallShield 2015 Professional or Premier which is what I am using here. Some of the Express and Limited Edition flavors don't always have everything available in them that you might read about being in InstallShield Pro or higher.

Chad
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Chad,

Why yes I do see that I have "InstallShield Limited Edition Project". I use Visual Studio and I wanted to create a Setup and Deployment project for a simple COM object. Such a thing used to be built into VS. But when I selected that project type and tried to create the project, the IDE brought up a web page telling me that was no longer the case and I needed to follow the supplied link to download the wizard. So I did and that took me to Flexera. Once I followed the directions for installing the wizard that runs inside of Visual Studio, I restarted (as required) VS and selected the project using the New Project command. And I now have a "Setup" project added to my solution file. Pretty nifty, except that it isn't working out so well. I thought the VSIX projects were a bit obtuse but right now they are feeling much easier to deal with!

Maybe I'll have to examine all the files that the wizard added and see if I can manually edit them.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Chad,

I found the "isl" file on disk and used Atom to find the entry and edit it. So I'll know soon ... That didn't take long. Got a message saying the processor type isn't supported. I found what looked like the right spot and change "Intel" to "Intel64" in the
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Got it. I guessed the processor type needed to be Intel64. But it is actually "x64". So I added "x64;1033" and that got me further along. I had registration issues and I found I had to also hand edit the component entry for ISX_DEFAULTCOMPONENT1 and my DLL file (both in the same node). Changed a 2 to 256. All this was obvious right? I next had issues registering. Self registration failed. Extract COM .. failed. I finally just called regsvr32 on my DLL and exported the registry. Then I found I had to change the path by replacing the fully qualified path with "[INSTALLDIR]" and import the file via a command I found in More Options on the Application Registry page of the Project Assistant.
0 Kudos