cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Dority
Level 6

What type of Project should I use?

Hey there,

I've created a project in Visual Studio 2005 and now I need to deploy this project to clients. Right now I have to copy files and manually configure files which is time consuming. I'm hoping to automate this process with this product.

So during the installation, I gather information from the user and once the product installs, I need to modify an XML file based on what the client entered.

I develop in C# while utilizing the .NET 3.5 framework and which project would be best suited to handle this?

Would it be an MSI package or a Windows Installer class? (Or any other type?)

I plan on having IS do the framework validation along with the task of copying the files. During the installation process, I need to pass the arguments to a custom installer project to do my own thing.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Narain
Level 2

Hi,

Use Installscript Msi Project very easy and intresting.

regards
Narain
0 Kudos
yshariff
Level 2

Hello

Can any one help me out here, Am new to install Shield and was using WPS as my repackaging tool, I have switched to IS. Please guide with step by step procedure to capture the application and get the MSI.-:rolleyes:
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you have the InstallShield Premier edition or if you have AdminStudio, please look up the help for "Repackager".
0 Kudos
Daniel_Dority
Level 6

Narain wrote:
Hi,

Use Installscript Msi Project very easy and intresting.

regards
Narain

Thanks Narain.

I was able to create an installer class and tie it into the project. I even passed it arguments and it was incredibly easy to get the values.
0 Kudos
yshariff
Level 2

RobertDickau wrote:
If you have the InstallShield Premier edition or if you have AdminStudio, please look up the help for "Repackager".

I dont have the repackage option, i have down loaded the IS Professional Edition. It has a options such as Basic msi etc but there is no option for installing and capturing the application... please help me out or have i down loaded the irrelavant edition..... suggest the edtion which should be down loaded...
0 Kudos