cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hirosea
Level 3

What is the difference between InstallShield 2016 SP1 23.0.406.0 and 23.0.428.0?

What is the difference between the following two versions of InstallShield 2016 Service Pack 1?

I am using InstallShield 2016 SP1 23.0.406.0, but this morning, there was a guide to upgrade to 23.0.428.0.
Since details of modification are unknown, there is anxiety because I do not know what kind of influence it will take.

Patches for CVE - 2016 - 2542 have been replaced in the past in a relatively short period of time,
We are in trouble because work man-hours / confirmation man-hours increase.

at least
- What kind of modifications are being made,
- Which operating systems will be affected
You can not upgrade if you do not know.

If anyone knows about it, would you please expand it?

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Not applicable

+1

I would also like to know this...
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

It would be nice to hear from someone at Flexera on this. I can share my experience.... which entails only one difference between the 2 versions. My position was probably a bit different from most of you who probably are at 23.0.406.0 and considering moving to 23.0.428.0. I attempted to upgrade from IS 2015 SP1 to IS 2016 SP1 23.0.406.0. That did not work for me... possibly because my suite projects have a 'Preinstall' executable that I execute as the first Event in OnBegin. Possibly because of that (not sure), the suite did not launch any of the packages. All of this worked fine with IS 2015 SP1. Under the direction of Flexera Support I upgraded to 23.0.428.0. and then the packages launched properly... although I then had to add the /clone_wait parameter because the suite proceeded without waiting for the package to complete installation/uninstallation. It is possible that I should have been using /clone_wait all along, but it was not a problem in previous versions of InstallShield. I also found that I had to use the /clone_wait parameter when silently installing 'InstallShield built' packages built with IS 2016 SP1. Also note that my projects we InstallScript MSI projects. Not sure if that matters.
0 Kudos
hirosea
Level 3

Looking at InstallShield 2016 Known Issuses updated on April 5,
https://flexeracommunity.force.com/customer/articles/en_US/INFO/InstallShield-2016-Known-Issues
The following fix seems to be in InstallShield 2016 SP1 23.0.428.0.
HOTFIX: CMDLINE Variable always includes '-IS_temp -IS_OriginalLauncher:' on InstallShield 2016 SP1
https://flexeracommunity.force.com/customer/articles/en_US/ISSUE/HOTFIX-CMDLINE-Variable-always-includes-IS-temp-IS-OriginalLauncher-Path-to-setup-exe-on-InstallShield-2016-SP1
As this alone, I do not think it is enough to guide reapplication of SP1, so are there other modifications???

0 Kudos
Not applicable

rguggisberg wrote:
It would be nice to hear from someone at Flexera on this. I can share my experience.... which entails only one difference between the 2 versions. My position was probably a bit different from most of you who probably are at 23.0.406.0 and considering moving to 23.0.428.0. I attempted to upgrade from IS 2015 SP1 to IS 2016 SP1 23.0.406.0. That did not work for me... possibly because my suite projects have a 'Preinstall' executable that I execute as the first Event in OnBegin. Possibly because of that (not sure), the suite did not launch any of the packages. All of this worked fine with IS 2015 SP1. Under the direction of Flexera Support I upgraded to 23.0.428.0. and then the packages launched properly... although I then had to add the /clone_wait parameter because the suite proceeded without waiting for the package to complete installation/uninstallation. It is possible that I should have been using /clone_wait all along, but it was not a problem in previous versions of InstallShield. I also found that I had to use the /clone_wait parameter when silently installing 'InstallShield built' packages built with IS 2016 SP1. Also note that my projects we InstallScript MSI projects. Not sure if that matters.

Very interesting in what you say about using the /clone_wait parameter for running packages from 2016 SP1 suite installers. I raised a similar topic on this awhile ago (see https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?222402-Suite-package-install-detection-condition-failing-with-IS-2016-SP1).

I wasn't aware of that option so I reverted back to the original IS 2016 release which doesn't exhibit this behaviour. Thanks for pointing that out.
0 Kudos