cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mayurbirari
Level 5

What is the best practice for showing advanced settings

I have a kind of an advanced Options button on the custom dialog and I want to show some advanced options after clicking on this.
what is the best practice for doing this?
I'm thinking about the following 2 -
1) Pop-up screen
2) Show on the same screen - just hide and show these controls. But with this option the users are saying that the height of the dialog should be changed dynamically.

I've not been able to find anything to do either of these things. Can anybody help me with this?

I'm using installscript project.

Thanks,
Mayur.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
esiemiat
Level 9

I have seen an advanced option button in other installs. In those cases, instead of hiding and showing controls, another dialog was used to show those options.

Besides, I don't think you can resize a dialog dynamically like that. Even if you could, I feel keeping the dialogs the same size makes the install look cleaner. Just my opinon though.
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

esiemiat wrote:
I have seen an advanced option button in other installs. In those cases, instead of hiding and showing controls, another dialog was used to show those options.

Besides, I don't think you can resize a dialog dynamically like that. Even if you could, I feel keeping the dialogs the same size makes the install look cleaner. Just my opinon though.

Considering the viable size of IS dialog boxes (not a good idea to extend the dialog box as it would look ugly), I would just create a check box with a label "Advance Settings" and show/hide controls based on current status of Advanced Settings dialog box, besides it is very easy in MSI or MSI Installscript projects to hide/show controls.

My "8" cents!
0 Kudos
mayurbirari
Level 5

Thanks for the reply guys.

Eric,
Are you trying to say that pop-up screen would be a better option.
In the installscript projects do you know the clean way of doing it?
I tried doing it but faced problems like the pop-up screen is not disposed even after calling -
EndDialog(szDialogName);
ReleaseDialog(szDialogName);
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

Not really. The installs I have used that do this ussually place the Advanced settings on the next dialog if the Advanced settings check box or radio button is selected. If Advanced settings is not selected the dailog is skipped.
0 Kudos
mayurbirari
Level 5

But the situation is little different over here.
I'm installing number of components like windows services, database, website. And for the configuration of these, I have separate screens and there are advanced settings associated with each of these screens. So a separate screen will not help over here.
0 Kudos