cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Web Install Package issue

We have a large install that we would like to build as a Web Install package, so that the user only has to download and install what they need.

So I simply added the new media type and created the web install type, but when I run it to test it, to verify only want is selected gets installed, I run into the following error:

"This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and thaty you can access it, or contact the application vendo to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Is there any setting that I need to make so that I can create a Web installation package?

Any help would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi Tim,

I might look at your WWW server logs to see what's going on here.

The most common situation I've seen is improper permissions, or on IIS6 and newer, there being no MIME type for the *.msi extension. Basically, this problem manifests as a 404 error.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Actually I just set up a test IIS service on my Win 7 machine so that I can test. I do not know all the setting that should be set so do you know what I should be looking for?

I did not see 404 error, it goes to the Install page and I click on install. It them seems to be loading the install UI and then it will give me that message. So where would I create the MIME type for .msi extension?
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay I found the MIME Types for the test site I created and .msi is listed in the MIME Types already.

So where would I find the IIS log file to see if that gives any indication as to why it comes up with this error?
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay I think I found the issue. I was pointing to the root of my web folder, but was putting the install files within a subfolder.....

I am building again now and will test to confirm.
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

Good to hear you found the issue. I wasn't aware that IIS 7.5 came with the MIME type already installed, but I suppose it makes sense.

Server 2003 (IIS6) is what has caused most of my headaches, since it introduced the 404 type problem while having a lot of common MIME types not defined by default.
0 Kudos