cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sturge
Level 6

Warning -7182 and UI Bug

Since I upgraded to IS2009 I get this warning saying "Virtual Directory has a blank application name" and it won't appear for IIS 7.

I actually don't have an application name but since it insists I'll put one in.

However, when I attempt to fill something in for the application the UI prevents me and blanks out everything I enter. It just keeps creating these ID_STRING### variables that are set to nothing. (### being a 3 digit number that keep incrementing each time I edit)

There a hotfix for this UI bug? How can I get away without needing an application name?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
P_Duncan
Level 4

I'm having the same issue. Sturge, did you ever find a resolution to this?
0 Kudos
sturge
Level 6

No I haven't.
0 Kudos
ericpaul
Level 6

I experienced the same behavior, however in IS 2010 it has been solved.

This doesn't help if one is using IS 2009 and since I also have to use IS2009 besides IS 2010, I was still looking for a solution.
Using the following steps, I was able to enter the application name and it persists:
[LIST=1]
  • Go to the application name text box and remember the string id, e.g. ID_STRING123.
  • In General Information | String Tables, find the ID_STRING123 entry and set the value to the desired name, e.g. MyAppName.
  • Go to the Direct Editor and find the ISIISCommon table.
  • Enter the desired name (MyAppName ) in the AppName column of the proper record.

Going back to the application name text box, the magic is apparent: it showed MyAppName!
    Even switching to another Virtual Directory and back did not change the content.

EDIT: PS it seems that steps 1 and 2 are not necessary, steps 3 and 4 will take care of adding the proper strings to the String Tables
  • 0 Kudos