cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulLimburg
Level 3

Visual Studio 2015 Solution Explorer nodes do not show files for other projects

I have solutions in Visual Studio 2015 to which I have added InstallShield 2015 Express Setup projects. When I open the solutions, in Solution Explorer the branches for my projects ("Header Files", "Source Files", etc) do not open to display the files. This happens only when the solution includes a InstallShield Express Setup project. Behavior returns to normal if I remove the setup project from the solution.

Suggestions? Anything to troubleshoot?

I have contacted Microsoft tech support: they can reproduce the issue but so far have no solution.

Thanks,
Paul
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
PaulLimburg
Level 3

From Microsoft tech support:

Subject: RE: [REG:115082013064013] Solution Explorer Filters Don't show file Initial Response

I have discussed this with our Escalation team and confirmed this to be a bug in VS2015. This scenario involving a third-party product may not have been tested before VS2015 release. I will raise a bug with Product Group. Please note that based on product groups priorities they may fix this in next update or can delay fix. I will update once I get any update from product team. Till then please use the alternative solution of unloading setup project temporarily. Thank you for pointing out this issue to Microsoft.

I surprised that this is a bug, considering that InstallShield is built-in to VisualStudio 2015 as the preferred deployment solution.
-Paul
0 Kudos
peterkay
Level 2

PaulLimburg wrote:
From Microsoft tech support:

I surprised that this is a bug, considering that InstallShield is built-in to VisualStudio 2015 as the preferred deployment solution.
-Paul

Hi There,

Have you heard any more about this?

Peter
0 Kudos
PaulLimburg
Level 3

Response from Microsoft representative on 9/16/2015:

"The reason was found to be bug in VS2015 which caused file filters to work improperly when Installsheild setup project was one of the projects in a solution.
Solution suggested is to unload InstalSheild setup project temporarily while working with other projects. "

"In reference to case you have raised with Microsoft. (SR# 115082013064013 Solution Explorer Filters Don't show file). I got response from product team. They don’t have plan to fix this bug in upcoming update for Visual Studio. However, this bug will be fixed in a future release of Visual Studio and exact time cannot be committed as of now."

So nothing to do but wait now. -Paul
0 Kudos