cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patrick_YC
Level 3

Visual Studio 2013 & Installshield Limited - 64-bit Application Installer Option?

I recently purchased Visual Studio 2013 Professional based on the statement in the following article that said there would be support for installing x64 applications:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2013/08/15/what-s-new-in-visual-studio-2013-and-installshield-limited-edition.aspx

I am playing around with Installshield LE 2013 and I see no option for creating an installer for a 64-bit application.* Where should I look for this option that is supposedly in there somewhere?
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi Patrick,

Have you tried modifying the settings in "Configuration Manager" in the Build menu?

Please let me know if this helped.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
Patrick_YC
Level 3

Chaitra wrote:
Hi Patrick,

Have you tried modifying the settings in "Configuration Manager" in the Build menu?

Please let me know if this helped.

Thanks,
Chaitra

Hi Chiatra, and thank you for your reply. I do already have the application set to "x64" in the "Configurations Manager". This does cause my application to be compiled as a 64-bit application. The problem though is that I cannot figure out how to configure the setup project to build an installer that will mark this application as x64, and install it to the correct Program Files (not x86) directory.
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi Patrick,

Unfortunately this feature is not supported by InstallShield Limited Edition. If your setup has all 64-bit components, then the installation folder is by default created in Program Files.

Please let me know if you need any further information on this.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
Patrick_YC
Level 3

Ok, I see. I'm wondering how practical this automatic designation of the installation folder is though because Visual Studio adds the following x86 references to the application project, and I see no way to replace them with 64-bit versions.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5\System.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5\System.Core.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5\System.Data.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5\System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll
etc...
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your response.

Please take sometime to have a look at the below provided link for more information on this issue:

http://resources.flexerasoftware.com/instructions/is/en/installshield2013limited/rn_IS2013_limited.pdf

Kindly refer the topic:

Ability to Create Installations that Install to 64-Bit Locations

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos