cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiggers
Level 7

Visual J# not installed correctly on Vista

When installing on Vista Business I get a message saying IExpress Setup in Location [CD]:\vjredist20.exe may not have installed correctly. This component was added using the .NET/J# tab under Releases and is set to 'Copy from Source Media' with no comand line settigns and the other two options set to 'No'. Using .NET 2.0, also set to 'Copy from Source Media' with no language packs. Installing on other OSes is OK.

How can I get rid of the warning message?

Mark
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
wiggers
Level 7

Anyone? Surely I'm not the first to come across this?

Mark
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Is this the program compatibility dialog? If so it sounds related to IOA-000029567 where this was fixed for the .NET 1.1 redists. Personally I consider this a bug in Vista; when something it thinks is an installer is run in a fashion that does not install (as detected perhaps by an ARP entry), it chalks up a failure. Our installation probably still tries to run the install in two steps, so the first one "fails".

You can verify if this is the dialog in question by running a command like vjredist20.exe /? on the Vista machine. If so, let me know. Or just use a prerequisite to do the installation, where you can control the command line - that'll be the best workaround anyway.
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

Yes, it is program compatibility. Running vjredist20.exe /? just brings up a dialog listing the command line options.

If the problem was fixed for .NET 1.1, why not for the other version?

Mark
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

In the .NET 1.1 case, after closing the command line option dialog, the program compatibility dialog would appear. I think VJ# was just missed as an oversight, and clearly hasn't gotten a lot of use in the meantime. I've filed IOC-000075732 so we can address this in the future. In the meantime, I would suggest using a prerequisite instead of the release option.
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

The version shipped with IS 11.5 works perfectly, so that's another reason we've gone back to using that instead of IS 2009.
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

I get the same problem with IS2010 also.
0 Kudos