Visual C++ 2019 (x64) prerequisite fails only if VC++ 2017 (x64) is installed
I'm experiencing the following behavior with my prerequisite, but not when VC++ 2019 is installed outside of InstallShield. My colleague and I both experience the following repeatable behavior.
- When Visual C++ 2017 (x64) redistributables are installed, the InstallShield installer fails after installing Visual C++ 2015-2019 (x64) redistributables.
- When Visual C++ 2017 (x64) redistributables are not installed, it succeeds through both prerequisites and the main installer.
Since VC++ 2015-2019 (x64) replaces the VC++ 2017 (x64) redistributables, to reproduce the issue, you must uninstall VC++ 2015-2019 (x64), and reinstall VC++ 2017 (x64).
I've created a version of the prerequisite that logs the installation of VC++, and got the attached logs. Screenshots of my prerequisite configuration are also attached.
If anyone has any idea what is wrong, please help! I'd like this to work, and this installer must be delivered ASAP.
It might be related. However, it doesn't seem to be failing due to a missing key.
1. This problem occurs when 2019 VC++ Redistributables x64 are installed as an InstallShield prerequisite when the 2017 Redistributables x64 are installed. It doesn't fail when run outside of InstallShield. I also observed an existing registry key for the 2017 version in HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\x64, so a missing key wasn't the problem.
2. When VC++ 2017 x86 is installed (HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\x86 exists, but not \x64), the problem does not occur. So, it doesn't crash when trying to compare a key in \x64 when \x64 doesn't exist - it just installs and continues with the IS installer.
3. When no VC++ version 14.n.n.n is installed (no HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0 key exists), the problem does not occur. So it doesn't crash when trying to compare a key in \14.0 when 14.0 doesn't exist - it just installs and continues with the IS installer.
Have you tried to monitor the installation with procmon from microsoft to find the difference between InstallShield installation and standalone installation ?
The Visual Studio Community has closed my issue, stating that this is a problem with Flexera InstallShield.
Please check the InstallShield KB article and hotfix installer for the VC++ 2019 restart issue.