cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Vista Enterprise Service Pack 1 IIS 7.0 install problems using Installshield 2010

Hi Folks.
I have just upgraded Installshield IS 2009 to IS 2010.
I am having a problem creating a virtual directory on Vista Enterprise Service Pack 1.
While the Virtual Directory Default Web Site/Company/Product/Application gets created on XP under IIS 5.1,
unfortunately it rolls back when it reaches the same stage on Vista with IIS 7.0. (Using the same Install program.)
UAC is switched off on Vista, so I am confused. Here is the log generated. -2147024891 means access denied. But I am not denying access to anything.(I think)
There is a fix for a similar issue that replaces the DLLs IISHelper.dll and IISRT.dll if you are using Installshield 2008. This fix does not work on Installshield 2010.

Setting property 'enabled' to value 'false' for element 'system.webServer/directoryBrowse'. Old value: '0'. m_sSectionName : 'system.webServer/directoryBrowse'.
InstallShield 16:53:56: getvaluelog
InstallShield 16:53:56: put_value succeeded. get_StringValue now returns '0' with string value 'false'.
InstallShield 16:53:56: CommitChanges for path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/Company/Product/Application' and physical path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Company\Product\Application\'.
InstallShield 16:53:56: CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-2147024891'.
InstallShield 16:53:56: Error with IISRT: -2147024891
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The referenced code fix for IS 2008 was included in the released versions of IS 2009 and 2010, so the fix in KB Q200236 does not need to be applied (more runtime errors will likely result from attempting to use this fix in IS 2009 or 2010).

This error could be caused by including a web.config file in your installation in the path C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Company\Product\Application. If a web.config file is included and it uses XML namespaces, IIS cannot parse the file correctly when our custom action attempts to set IIS properties that will be applied to the web.config file (this behavior appears to be fixed with IIS 7.5 on Windows 7/2008 R2). You can confirm this is the cause of the error either by removing the web.config file from the installation or by removing all uses of XML namespaces in the web.config settings file.
0 Kudos
pamtaro
Level 3

I believe this issue has been reintroduce with Installshield 2010 SP1. I just upgraded my setup which installs a web application to IIS. Prior to the upgrade, the web application installed successfully on my Windows 2008 R2 machine with IIS 7.5, after the upgrade, I am getting this error which causes my setup to rollback:

InstallShield 13:05:57: getvaluelog
InstallShield 13:05:57: Setting property 'accessPolicy' to value 'Script, Read' for element 'system.webServer/handlers'. Old value: '513'. m_sSectionName : 'system.webServer/handlers'.
InstallShield 13:05:57: getvaluelog
InstallShield 13:05:57: put_value succeeded. get_StringValue now returns '0' with string value 'Read, Script'.
InstallShield 13:05:57: CommitChanges for path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/SiteName' and physical path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\SiteName\'.
InstallShield 13:05:57: CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-2147024891'.
InstallShield 13:05:57: Error with IISRT: -2147024891
CustomAction ISIISInstall returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 13:05:57: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Please help!
0 Kudos
Lurean
Level 8

verify the user you are running the installation under has permissions needed to create a directory in the inetpub\wwwroot directory. Keep in mind most files outside the "public" areas are very locked down in Vista.
0 Kudos
pamtaro
Level 3

Yes, my user has permissions to create directories in inetpub\wwwroot. Its in the administrator group which has full control in the inetpub directory. I don't think this is a permissions issue, but related to what joshstechnij said about the web.config. When I remove the web.config, my IIS web application installs fine. The reason I think this is related something that's changed in SP1 is because this setup use to install succesfully using the 2010 version without SP1. I did not have to remove the web.config that's in my web application's directory before on this machine. This is a Windows 2008 R2 OS which Installshield 2010 SP1 is officially suppose to support. But it worked before SP1 and now it doesn't WITH SP1! Is anybody else running into this????
0 Kudos
pamtaro
Level 3

I finally figured out my issue, which turns out to be quite simple. My web.config file was set to Read-Only during install, so the custom action that Installshield uses to set up the website in IIS7 couldn't write to it. Once I unchecked read-only in my setup it installed fine!
0 Kudos
Jool2k11
Level 3

u were right, that solved my problem too. thx a lot
0 Kudos