cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WencoKevin
Level 2

Version Number Issues

I've been running into an issue doing upgrades. My company currently uses four-part version numbers (eg 4.5.0.1), while IS only uses the first three parts. So, for example, it was not behaving correctly when attempting to install 4.5.0.2 when 4.5.0.1 was already installed (I'm assuming because it appeared that the two versions were the same ie 4.5.0).

The concern I have is that I would have expected the installer to throw up a "The version you are attempting to install is already installed!"-type message. Is there something specific I have to do to enable that check?

As a side note as well, is there a reason for the strict three-part version number system? I don't have a particular problem with it myself, but if I'm going to have to enforce a change to the version numbering system at my office, it'd be nice to arm myself with some information beforehand. 😄

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

This rule is only applicable for Major Upgrades. For Minor upgrades you can go from 1.2.3.1 to 1.2.3.2 and for `Small Updates` you can go from 1.2.3.1 to 1.2.3.1.

Yes, I know.... I would NEVER do that either. Who wants to be asking do you have 1.2.3.1 from Monday or 1.2.3.1 from Friday??

BTW, why 1.2.3 a rule? Well, because Microsoft says so. I think it's kind of dumb, but if you want to use major upgrades without rewriting FindRelatedProducts, you'll have to abide by it.
0 Kudos