cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I_H8_Setups
Level 3

VS 2008 Toolbox Install

*Why won't it work from the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog?

I have a utility (exe) that installs some controls to a custom tab in VS2008, which I run from an exe custom action. When I run this utility separately or somewhere within the Install Exec Sequence, it works, but it fails when I call it from the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog (after click ok). It fails with the generic 1720, big surprise, but through debugging it says that the "handle is invalid." My VS2005 toolbox utility works from the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog and it uses nearly identical code, aside from calls to the 8.0 environment rather than the 9.0.

Is InstallShield just flaky when it comes to calling 3.0 framework based exe custom actions, or is this something that I can fix? I tried this in both IS 12 and IS 2008 with the same result. I would appreciate any suggestions that may help. This is driving me insane.:eek: TIA
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I don't understand why you would call this from here anyways. CA's that make system configuration changes should be scheduled in the Execute Sequence as deferred between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize.
0 Kudos
I_H8_Setups
Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I have a checkbox at the end of the install so the customer can choose whether or not they want a VS2008 tab created. This is how I did it for VS2005 also, and that worked just fine.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I would reccomend asking that question up front before calling the execute sequence. There is a long standing tradition ( see BulletProof Installs ) of asking the user all questions up front and then providing a seamless installation experience. Much prettier then the old days when an install would ask some question, do a bunch of stuff and then ask more questions and repeat. Oops, I want to cancel... oops, I'm in mid stream... no rollback and I can't just click next next next and walk away because it's going to ask me more questions.
0 Kudos
I_H8_Setups
Level 3

Thanks. The questions are on the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog, so if someone cancels they never get the option to install the stuff to the toolbox anyway, same thing with a rollback. The toolbox install option has been at the end of the install for a long time, and it worked well, so I would rather have my options where my customers expect them if at all possible.

Does anyone knows why a .NET 3.0 CA might not work when launched from the SetupCompleteSucess dialog, when a .NET 2.0 CA does? Thanks again.
0 Kudos