cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simon_Dand
Level 4

COM Extraction failing with MS Visual Studio 2008 deliverables

All,

My development team has just switched from the MS Visual Studio 2003 compilers to the MS Visual Studio 2008 compilers. Now the COM extraction is failing on the MSVS2008 COM deliverables.

Does anyone know why this could be so and is there a workaround or patch to fix this?

Thanks
Simon
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Is Visual Studio 2008 or its VC redistributable installed on the machine which you use to build the installation? If not, it could be a missing dependency for the files you are trying to extract. Try a tool such as Dependency Walker to verify this.

(The above assumes the default COM Extraction methods in IS 2008, as they were adjusted since before IS12 to handle changes in VS2005 that resulted in similar symptoms. If you are not using the default COM Extraction methods, please try them instead.)
0 Kudos
Simon_Dand
Level 4

Thanks for the tip, but I had already checked for file dependencies and there are no issues here.

Also, can you elaborate on "default extraction methods"? I simple have my components marked as extract at build and when I build the package I get all the warnings. I have also tried using RegSpy and again that fails to show the COM information.

Regards
Simon
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

In short if you don't know of them, you're not likely to have overridden them. There's a registry value called UseAPIRegistryHooks to return to previous COM extraction behavior in case the changes to enable VS2005 and later DLLs caused problems with other DLLs.

As a sanity check, are there any other changes in effect, such as the DLLs possibly no longer being self-registering (perhaps watch a regsvr32 of one with ProcessMonitor), or them now being 64-bit (we don't support 64-bit COM extraction), etc?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Just a sanity check.... we are talking about C++ projects right? There seems to be a lot of confusion lately from people regarding RegSvr32 and RegAsm.exe.

If c++ and RegSpy is failing, does regsvr32 work or do you get an error?
0 Kudos