cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drewdy
Level 4

VMWare and custom action

I've got an installer that works fine on regular machines. This installer calls a custom action executable on both install and uninstall that messes with the ODBC databases.

My problem is that the install/uninstall works fine on regular machines and vm's through remote desktop, but when I run in the vmware console the custom action fails with error 1721 on uninstall only. Does anyone know what could be different about the vmware console? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Error 1721 indicates an executable custom action failed to launch. Typically this is due to missing dependencies required for the executable to launch correctly. Does the EXE launch outside of the MSI package in the same environment where it is failing? If it still fails to launch even on its own, you may try using Dependency Walker to determine if there are any missing dependencies in that environment.
0 Kudos
drewdy
Level 4

Sorry, I guess I forgot to say that before. The executable can be run outside of the installer in the command line but fails when it's called from the installer.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

You may want to try using the SysInternals Process Monitor utility for further troubleshooting. For an EXE custom action, Windows Installer is launching the executable with the CreateProcess API, so I'm not really sure what the issue would be if the file launches in the same environment as a standalone file. Process Monitor may yield some addition information.
0 Kudos