cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vs20082010
Level 4

VERY CRITICAL PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE: Required Disk Space Error

I have a Basic MSI Installer and I have tested it in Windows XP, having a space of only 123MB on drive C...which would eventually call the OUTOf SPace dialog...

The problem is that when the DiskSpaceRequirements appears , I want to chose drive D instead of drive C (which is full). I cannot transfer the highlighted cursor to drive D..it always chose drive C. Eventhough I already changed the installation folder to drive D, the DiskSpaceRequirements - selected C cannot be transferred to drive D...

how come this is happening? does this relate to the memory of the pc? please help !

thank you
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
GetExp
Level 6

In the DiskSpaceRequirements dialog you will not be able to select anything. If you have set the installation path to the 😧 drive, then the dialog should not pop up... Have you done any event modification in the dialogs? Also, how much is the application size and are there any files getting under Program files?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Also note that Windows Installer will always use disk space on the drive that contains the Windows folder. The MSI package is cached in C:\Windows\Installer, files are copied to the temp folder during the install, and rollback files are created on the Windows volume for any files being replaced or removed during the install process. Windows Installer does not allow this behavior to be changed.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The following post describes a bit more detail of the space requirements from Windows Installer:
Why Windows Installer May Require so much Disk Space
0 Kudos
vs20082010
Level 4

GetExp: thank you for your reply. No I have not made any modifications in the dialog boxes of the SpaceDisk.. the installer size is about 115MB.. im just getting a negative number when the installer requires the space in drive C, even though that is not the path where I would want to install the software.

joshstechnij: thank you for your reply. this will give me a clearer view about windows installers... but i would change it to the installscript project instead, will this be also used by that installer? i mean will it also get stored in c: drive?
0 Kudos
GetExp
Level 6

joshstechnij: That was clear. But still I have a question. Is it possible to change the destination where the installer is getting extracted (instead of the default Temp?)
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

InstallScript setups use InstallShield's proprietary installation engine which is unrelated to Windows Installer. There are some files copied to the program files location during installation (needed for maintenance/uninstall of the setup), and the temp folder is used during install, but other than that, as long as any target paths are not pointed at C:, there should not be a significant amount of space required on C:.

If you are launching from a compressed setup.exe, the files contained in the setup are always extracted to the path returned by the GetTempPath API. According to the API docs, the environment variables TMP and then TEMP are used to obtain the current temp folder. Changing these environment variable paths should allow for the setup to extract to a different temp location. (Note that this does not make any guarantee on where Windows Installer will copy the MSI file during installation; I assume it would be similar to setup.exe.)
0 Kudos