Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElenaN
Level 6

VC 8.0 CRT merge module installation on Vista

Hi guys
I have next problem

I made installation for application which depends on Visual C++ 8.0 CRT. So I included Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86.msm and policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86.msm merge modules into my installation.
The installation works OK on Windows XP, but fails on Vista (32bit).

Event log shows SidebySide error :
Activation context generation failed for "myapp". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
But Microsoft.VC80.CRT version="8.0.50727.762" is included in merge modules which I added to my installation.

Can anyone give me a clue why these merge modules don’t work on Vista while work on XP?
How can I solve this issue?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
dkirsch
Level 3

Hello Elena,

I have seen the same issue and was able to solve it following the advise on: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/01/09/problems-with-custom-actions-that-depend-on-the-visual-c-8-0-runtime-files-on-windows-vista.aspx

Enjoy!

Dan
0 Kudos
HookEm
Level 5

I had the same problem. The link sent by the previous poster is a very good resource. I ended up installing the msvcr80 files as side-by-side assemblies in my product \bin folder (see the redist.txt in the install dir for VS). This works on Vists and XP but not on 2000 (but I also included the same merge module as you which installs the assemblies globally on 2000).
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

I am running into this as well, with a service that is registered and started during the install. So I am following the following instructions:

"In the case of service installation, use a commit custom action or a custom action scheduled after InstallFinalize. You cannot use the ServiceInstall or ServiceControl table if the service depends on any global assemblies (such as the VC 8.0 runtime files or a managed .NET Framework assembly). This scenario is specifically described in the ServiceControl table documentation on MSDN."

And during install I get a warning about the service custom action and that it should be sequenced between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize.

So can I safely ignore this warning or do I have to place the custom action before InstallFinalize and if I do will it still work correctly?
0 Kudos