cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LBergen
Level 2

Using a dll at UI time

Hi, I'm fairly new to InstallShield and am having some trouble with something.

Ok, so here's the scenario. I need to use CoCreateObject to create an object from a dll and then use some functionality that's within that dll during the UI section of the install.

What I need to happen is this: The user should click "Next" on a particular dialog, this should trigger a custom action which creates an object from a dll which I package up with the installer (using the SUPPORTDIR I'm guessing).

The problem I'm having is that apparently when you call an installscript custom action like I'm doing (with doAction on the next button being clicked) you don't have access to this SUPPORTDIR.

Does anybody have any experience trying to do what I'm doing here?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
jesseD
Level 3

Are you using an MSI DLL?

Being new to installshield and the windows platform i have had success w/using MSI DLLs to perform functions upon button presses during the UI phase.

Using MSI DLLs i am able to read and set properties from the DLL as it is working it's magic. I was not as fortunate in calling standard DLLs and passing it args. I also did stay away from SUPPORTDIR as i kept getting bit (as i was learning) by nuances regarding the SUPPORTDIR property. Instead I opted to create a working directory within INSTALLDIR and use it during the install for very specific things. Then I simply made sure that the temp dir was cleaned up prior to ending the installation.

good luck!

/jesse
0 Kudos
LBergen
Level 2

Ok, I'd be more than happy to ditch the supportdir, it's been giving me nothing but trouble from the beginning. But now, how would I package up the dll and unpack it for use during the User Interface section of the install? Can you pull stuff out of the cab file at UI time in the installscript?
0 Kudos