cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Using a Third Party .exe as a Prerequisite Question(s)...

Hi all,

I have a third party application installer (.exe) that is a requirement for our application. I have created the new prerequisite with conditions and that part of it appears to work well. If a registry version value is not met, the install is fired. If installed, the prerequisite is not listed at the outset of our Setup.exe as expected/desired.

The issue I'm seeing is that once the third party installation completes, our .exe ends as well and is resumed after reboot. The problem is that if I install the third party package outside of our bootstrap .exe, there is no reboot required. I only tried the reboot because I remembered seeing options in the prerequisite behavior settings.

Does anyone know what would be causing my setup.exe to just quit without notification of any kind. I'm guessing that's because the behavior is currently set to 'Exit and resume on reboot'. The actual option on the Behavior tab is 'If the prerequisite appears to need a reboot:'. I guess that is the root of my question. What is causing it to appear there is a need for a reboot? Is there any way around it?

I guess I could try 'Ignore it, and fail to resume if machine is rebooted', but I'm not quite sure what that means for my overall process and continuation with the installation of any additional prerequisites or my actual application.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Superfreak3
Level 11

The ignore seems to work, but I'd still be curious as to why my Setup.exe detects the need for a reboot from the third party .exe installer.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

In the Prerequisite Editor open your PRQ file.
Switch to the Application To Run tab.
Look at the bottom field, what is the return code when the setup requires a reboot? This is what InstallShield is looking for.

Does your EXE have any logging capabilities? If so then try creating a log file for the setup, it might help in trying to figure out what is causing the reboot request. If not check your event viewer. Sometimes installers write information to here.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

DLee65 wrote:
In the Prerequisite Editor open your PRQ file.
Switch to the Application To Run tab.
Look at the bottom field, what is the return code when the setup requires a reboot? This is what InstallShield is looking for.

Does your EXE have any logging capabilities? If so then try creating a log file for the setup, it might help in trying to figure out what is causing the reboot request. If not check your event viewer. Sometimes installers write information to here.

Ah, nice. There is currently nothing in the reboot return code field. I guess I can ask the third party vendor what a valid reboot return code is.

I'm wondering if the blank reboot return code field is the issue. I created an .exe to do some tasks with IIS components that I treat as a prerequisite, but that too has not return code and wasn't causing the bootstrap .exe to think a reboot is needed. I'll take a closer look at that as this 'action' .exe treated as a prerequisite was sequenced last - not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not so I'll sequence it first to see if I see the same behavior.
0 Kudos