cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ivanoe
Level 3

Using Setup file in advanced\Disk1 node

I have a problem to launch a file using custom action (after After Install Welcome Dialog).

In ISe2008:
* target files are write in Disk1 folder (Advanced Files\Disk1\RFM2g\setup.exe, ...)
* the custome action (exe) is set as follow:
- File exist on target computer
- [SUPPORTDIR]Disk1\RFM2g
- Setup.exe

When exectuting the kit, I have a not found error (the path of the setup.exe file is not found).

-> I would like to know what path I have to enter in the custom action ([SUPPORTDIR]Disk1\RFM2g is certainly wrong)

(When the target files are put in Setup Files\English the path [SUPPORTDIR] is working - i.e.: at execution time the setup.exe is found-)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Are you using a Setup.exe file for your main installation? If so, try [SETUPEXEDIR]RFM2 instead of [SUPPORTDIR]... If you're not, you may want to try the [SOURCEDIR] property instead. The help has some more info about SETUPEXEDIR and SOURCEDIR. Files in the Disk1 folder are not automatically copied to the target machine when the installation begins. So, I think you'll need to use SETUPEXEDIR or SOURCEDIR.

If you had added your file to the English (United States) node (or whatever language applies) instead of the Disk1 node in the Setup Files view, then your support file would be copied to a temp location on the target machine at the beginning of your installation. The Windows Installer property for that temp location is SUPPORTDIR. So, if your file is in the English (United States) node, you use SUPPORTDIR.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
ivanoe
Level 3

Thanks for answering, I will try try use [SETUPEXEDIR]..

Another question:
I delete the setup.exe file from Advanced\Disk1\RFM2g but I still have this message at build time are :

BBControl table successfully built
Billboard table successfully built
ISEXP : error -1024: File E:\EWS_AF288\PC\Install\Install_kits\Ews-Indus install kit\express\cd_rom\diskimages\disk1\rfm2g\Setup.exe not found. Cannot stream the file into the Binary table
C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS 2008 Express\IsDev.exe\-1024

Binary table successfully built
Data1.cab built
Files built
Media table successfully built
Setup.exe created
Distribution started on 30-Nov-2007, 14:59:13 PM
Copying files from 'E:\EWS_AF288\PC\Install\Install_kits\Ews-Indus install kit\Express\CD_ROM\DiskImages\DISK1' --> 'E:\EWS_AF288\PC\Install\CDROM sources\Software\Installation kits\RTS-INDUS\DISK1'
Copying 'E:\EWS_AF288\PC\Install\Install_kits\Ews-Indus install kit\Express\CD_ROM\DiskImages\DISK1\Data1.cab' --> 'E:\EWS_AF288\PC\Install\CDROM sources\Software\Installation kits\RTS-INDUS\DISK1\Data1.cab'
Copying 'E:\EWS_AF288\PC\Install\Install_kits\Ews-Indus install kit\Express\CD_ROM\DiskImages\DISK1\EWS RTS-INDUS.msi' --> 'E:\EWS_AF288\PC\Install\CDROM sources\Software\Installation kits\RTS-INDUS\DISK1\EWS RTS-INDUS.msi'
Copying 'E:\EWS_AF288\PC\Install\Install_kits\Ews-Indus install kit\Express\CD_ROM\DiskImages\DISK1\setup.exe' --> 'E:\EWS_AF288\PC\Install\CDROM sources\Software\Installation kits\RTS-INDUS\DISK1\setup.exe'
Distribution completed.
Distribution finished at 30-Nov-2007, 14:59:17 PM
Automatic update notification disabled
Express\CD_ROM - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

And if I rebuild it makes no error.
How can I suppress the error source?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Do you still have a custom action that references the Setup.exe file that you just removed from the Setup Files view? If so, you'd want to delete that custom action.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
ivanoe
Level 3

No, I already have delete it (custom action with a reference to the deleted "\disk1\RFM2g\Setup.exe" file).
ISex act's as the "\disk1\RFM2g\Setup.exe file" was referenced by some thing that is not visible on MMI.
I also try to suppress all custom action but the error on this file is still present.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Hmm. I opened your Ews-Indus install kit.ise file in Orca (a free Microsoft database tool), and I noticed that the Binary table has a reference to "\express\cd_rom\diskimages\disk1\rfm2g\Setup.exe". Without knowing more about the steps needed to reproduce this, I'm not sure what caused this reference to remain.

As a quick workaround to resolve the build error, though, you can use Orca to remove the row in the Binary table that contains the reference. I attached an updated .ise file with that row removed. You'll want to save a back-up copy of your .ise file, and then test the revised .ise file to make sure that it works OK. I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
ivanoe
Level 3

Thanks for your help.
I didn't find your attachment; I delete reference to the Setup.exe file in binary table (using orca).
The build succeed until the cab file build step (the step never ends).
I'll finally create a new project and copy by hands all the settings:( ...
0 Kudos
cfairweather
Level 4

I am having a similar problem. After deleting a custom action and the associated file, my project will not build. It says it can't find the file. There is definetly a problem with InstallShield Express 2008 because the file it is trying to "stream" is not referenced anywhere in the project. Please help.
Cedric
307-632-3317
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Cedric,

Can you post your .ise file or email it to me at dlanders at macrovision.com?

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
yeeht19
Level 5

Hi,

I'm facing a similar problem in my basic MSI project.
I have some console that need to be run when installing, so i copied those files into Support Files>English node. Those files also appear in the disk image (not sure whether it is correct behavior?) Then, i added a property SUPPORTDIR in the Custom Action & Sequence, and refer it as SUPPORTDIR in the custom action script as following:

MsiGetProperty(hMSI, "SUPPORTDIR", szSupportDir, nLen);
if (FindFile(szSupportDir , appExe, svResult) = 0) then
LaunchAppAndWait(szSupportDir ^ appExe, "", WAIT);
else
MessageBox("Could not find file " + szSupportDir + "\\" + appExe, SEVERE);
endif;

The result shows that szSupportDir is actually blank.

Please help.

Thanks & Regards,
HY
0 Kudos