cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lonewolf32
Level 5

Using Prerequisites with Installscript

So I found this feature in IS 2010 called Prerequisites. I tried adding the .NET Framework 3.5 prereq to my installer by clicking the checkbox next to that item. However, building/running my project does not result in the prereq getting installed. The prereq screen never even shows up.

I am using a strictly Installscript project, no MSI. According to the documentation all I had to do was check the checkbox. Of course, this being InstallScript I strongly suspect that either:
a. this is not really supported for me, or
b. I need to call some function to make it happen.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Dave
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Prerequisites are supported for InstallScript projects starting with IS 2010. They are subject to the same rules that MSI projects have using prerequisites. Specifically, for a prerequisite to be requested for installation, the conditions on the prerequisite need to be met on a target machine running the setup. The .NET 3.5 prereq has a number of OS conditions to ensure it is not launched on a version of Windows that is too old, and it also checks to ensure the 3.5 framework is not already installed (based on the Version registry value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5).

Can you verify that the conditions on the prereq are being met (these can be seen by editing the prereq)? Also, is this a first time install or is your product already installed on the machine(s) tested on?
0 Kudos
lonewolf32
Level 5

Apologies - apparently 3.5 was already on there. I checked for the registry entry and it was there.

I was able to revert back to an older WinXP and it worked.

While I am in here... is there any way to specify the output directory for the prereq on the installation media? The reason I ask is because we have a nested installer and both installers require .NET framework 3.5 among other things, which would result in multiple copies of the framework installer on the disc. With this and our other prereqs we are looking at becoming too big for CDs, not to mention downloads. We need a way to consolidate the prereqs into one folder, but have them referenced by 2 different folders. We are currently doing this through code but it would be nice to use this built-in functionality.

Thanks!
Dave
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Unfortunately, the prerequisite support (both in InstallScript and MSI projects) does not currently allow for configuring the folder where the prereqs are placed on built media.
0 Kudos