cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usmanjamil
Level 5

UseDll function doesn't work for 64 bit dlls

Hi

I've a dll containing many functions that I can easily call and use in the Installscript on 32 bit machines. When I compile this dll for 64 bit machine and run the installer there, the function UseDll fails. Any idea how to fix it.

Btw has anyone has any luck with their problems here. I've been posting many problems regarding installers for 64 bit windows, but I've not got any useful response yet.

Regards

Usman
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
TheTraveler
Level 8

Have you tried loading and running your 32 bit version of the DLL on your target platform to see what happens?
0 Kudos
shanno
Level 3

see this post regarding 64 bit installation mode:

http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?p=419492#post419492
0 Kudos
shanno
Level 3

We should ask InstallShield to provide the ability to target 64 bit systems with a single click as InstallAware is offering.
0 Kudos
usmanjamil
Level 5

TheTraveler wrote:
Have you tried loading and running your 32 bit version of the DLL on your target platform to see what happens?

Yes the 32bit version of Dll gets loaded fine. What I guess is the reason for it is that the "Setup.exe" itself is running as a 32 bit process (you can check from task manager) on the 64 bit machine. So a 32 bit process can never load a 64 bit Dll. What I believe Installshield should have done is

1. when someone builds an Installshield project with x64; flags in project settings, the output setup.exe should be build as a 64 bit exe. That can run on 64 bit machine. Or
2. if its too much of work for them, they could have given a UseDll64 type of function as an alternative for UseDll for 64 bit machines, just like other constants e.g. WINSYSDIR64, PROGRAMFILES64.

I've had no luck so far with the installers on 64 bit machines. Hope someone could tell me of a workaround for it.
0 Kudos
usmanjamil
Level 5

shanno wrote:
We should ask InstallShield to provide the ability to target 64 bit systems with a single click as InstallAware is offering.

I haven't used Installanywhere, but even if having a single Installer for 32 and 64 bit machine is not possible, atleast if a single Installshield project could generate output setups for both 32bit and 64bit without having to alter the Installscript code with workarounds, would be a lot easier for customers.
0 Kudos
shanno
Level 3

usmanjamil wrote:
I haven't used Installanywhere, but even if having a single Installer for 32 and 64 bit machine is not possible, atleast if a single Installshield project could generate output setups for both 32bit and 64bit without having to alter the Installscript code with workarounds, would be a lot easier for customers.

Here I am talking about InstallAware, which has this feature up and running.
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

any solutions to this problem?
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

Hey,

refer this link
0 Kudos