cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kasani_Chinna
Level 3

Upgrading System32 folder dlls

Hi,

Can any help me of how can we upgrade the system32 dll's while installing my product? I am using OLEAUT32.dll which is of Windows XP Servicepack 2 with some patch. But i need to update this dll on lower service pack OS also. Because the file is protected by Windows i am not able to copy my new version dll.

PLease help me how can we do. I am using Installshield 2009. BasicMSI project.

Thanks,
Chinna.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Windows will prevent any protected system files from being overwritten, since changing them can effectively break the installed OS. Protected system files can only be updated through operating system updates issued by Microsoft.
0 Kudos
Kasani_Chinna
Level 3

Thanks Josh... I have one clarification. In InstallScript Project we have an option to specify "Potentially Locked" property (Yes/No) for each component. So, i thought that BasicMSI project is also having the option. Whythe Basic MSI project is not having the same option.

Thanks & Regards,
Chinna.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Basic MSI projects do not use the InstallShield InstallScript engine to perform their installation. Instead, they use the Microsoft Windows Installer service that is built in to Windows. MSI installations do not have a concept of locked files. If MSI determines a file is in use during install/uninstall, the file is scheduled for replacement after reboot, and a reboot is requested.
0 Kudos