cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DonovanK
Level 4

Upgrades

Hi ive developed a VB2008 winforms application. Created a basic.msi project. Created the installer. Installed the setup. Everything there is fine.
Altered my VB2008 project. Created another basic.msi project with the new .exe from my VB2008 project.

I use the same Upgrade code and Product code for both .msi's. I jst change the version code from 1.3.0010 to 1.3.0011.

When i build the .msi and i install the new setup, its says do you want to upgrade product. SO i say yes and it does the installation. But when i run the program the new changes are not present.
Unless i un install the current application and re install the new setup...

Can someone help me...with how to upgrade the application to the new one. ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

Did you change the version in both the msi and the code file? The Windows Installer update rules state that code files are only updated if their version is newer.
0 Kudos
DonovanK
Level 4

Ive kept the Upgrade and Product Code of both msi's the same.
eg
Product Code:{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Upgrade Code:{11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111}

The version number of the first Msi is 1.3.0010
So i changed the version number of the upgrade .msi to 1.3.0012
0 Kudos
DonovanK
Level 4

Code file ??
0 Kudos
Lurean
Level 8

The files you are trying to overwrite in the upgrade. If the version numbers are the same they will not be overwritten.

code file = the compiled application (exe or dll files)

Also if those are the actual values you are using for your product and upgrade codes, you will run into problems. Those values are supposed to be generated GUIDs. If you manually set them you lose the uniqueness that is required to make them always work.
0 Kudos
DonovanK
Level 4

Those upgrade and product codes where just for illustration. So if i leave both codes for both setups and change the upgrade setups version number higher for eg 1.3.0011 from 1.3.0010 then all files should be upgraded including the applications .exe ?
0 Kudos