cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BHumphrey
Level 3

Upgraded from IS12 and installer errors when creating shortcuts

I had a working installation project built with IS 12 and then I upgraded to 2010 the installer fails on creation of the shortcuts. The shortcuts point to a location on a server to a .exe file.

Any clues on what changed or what setting I need to make for this to work again?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Marwan
Level 7

Is this MSI or InstallScript? What's the error?
0 Kudos
BHumphrey
Level 3

Warning 1909. Could not create shortcut xxxxxxxxx.lnk. Verify that the destination folder exists and that you can access it.

This is an MSI, I have an [InstallDir] variable that is prompted for in the installer and it is a valid destination. I actually get this error if I try to run the installer on the server that has the destination folder and .exe that it is pointing to.

And again, this was a working MSI that I converted from InstallShield 12 to 2010 and did not make any changes to the shortcuts section.
0 Kudos
Marwan
Level 7

Can you access that server location from the machine running the setup?
Is the destination syntax valid? [INSTALLDIR] and not [InstallDir]? In your project do you have the General Information | Require Administrative Privileges property set to Yes or No? You can also generate a log to see more information about this..
0 Kudos
BHumphrey
Level 3

Yes, I can access that location from the machine running the setup. The MSI resides on that server in a subfolder of that location.

Destination syntax is valid [INSTALLDIR].

Require Administrative Priviledges is set to 'Yes', but I am logged in to as the Administrator to the destination machine.

How do you generate a log to see more info?
0 Kudos
douglasm
Level 3

I'm having the same problem "Warning 1909: ..." after upgrading from IS12 to IS2010.
0 Kudos
jmelnick
Level 3

It seems to be limited to 32 bit installers. I have a corresponding 64 bit version of my installer and it works correctly.

To get a log file I used msiexec /l*vx c:\log.txt /i myinstaller.msi

Relevant sections from my log file:

MSI (s) (D8:78) [09:14:04:718]: Doing action: CreateShortcuts
Action 9:14:04: CreateShortcuts. Creating shortcuts
Action start 9:14:04: CreateShortcuts.
CreateShortcuts: Shortcut: Creating shortcuts
Action ended 9:14:04: CreateShortcuts. Return value 1.

MSI (s) (D8:78) [09:14:22:843]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=CreateShortcuts,Description=Creating shortcuts,Template=Shortcut: [1])
Action 9:14:22: CreateShortcuts. Creating shortcuts
MSI (s) (D8:78) [09:14:22:843]: Executing op: SetTargetFolder(Folder=2\Aladdin\SafeWord\Configuration\)
MSI (s) (D8:78) [09:14:22:843]: SHELL32::SHGetFolderPath returned: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs
MSI (s) (D8:78) [09:14:22:843]: Executing op: ShortcutCreate(Name=OWAAGE~1|OWA Agent Configuration,,,FileName=IEXPLORE.EXE,Arguments=file:///C:\Program Files\Aladdin\SafeWord\OWA Agent\config\ConfigureSccOWA.html,WorkingDir=C:\Program Files\Aladdin\SafeWord\OWA Agent\config\,,,,ShowCmd=1,)
CreateShortcuts: Shortcut: OWAAGE~1|OWA Agent Configuration
MSI (s) (D8:78) [09:14:22:843]: Note: 1: 2105 2: -2147024809 3: OWA Agent Configuration.lnk
Warning 1909.Could not create shortcut OWA Agent Configuration.lnk. Verify that the destination folder exists and that you can access it.

Other than the errors, this is virtually identical to the log from by 64 bit installer which works.

This is a real show stopper and needs to be addressed ASAP!!!!
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Level 6

I had the same error when upgrading from IS12 to IS15(2009). The problem was that the shortcut was linked to the wrong folder identifier. I changed the link to the correct folder and it is now working fine.
0 Kudos