cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Winks
Level 6

Upgraded InstallScript project compile error

I'm trying to get all our old IS 10.5 projects upgraded to IS 2011.
I have one Installscript project that ran through the conversion but when I compile the script I get the following error.
-----
InstallShield Script Compiler
Version 17.0.0.714
Copyright 1997-2010 Flexera Software, Inc. and/or InstallShield Co. Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Compiling...
setup.rul
Linking...
C:\Projects\TFS\FGM\Main\ProductInstall\WorkPacketManager\InstallShield10\Script Files\iswi.obl : fatal error F8522: The system cannot find the file specified.
------

I've looked through the knowledgebase and community articles but find nothing that indicates what the problem might be.

This is a purely Installscript project.

The IS help says that it automatically finds ifx.olb and Isrt.olb for InstallScript and InstallScript Object projects.

It says that it automatically finds iswi.olb and isrt.olb for Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI projects.

If this is an Installscript project, why is it looking for iswi.olb?

I can get it to compile by setting the Additional Library Paths (in Build/Settings) to "Script\Iswi\Lib" but I'm concerned that that might have some subtle, unintended, side affect.

Can anyone give me a clue as to why iswi.olb might be required by this converted Installscript project?

Richard
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Generally speaking, iswi.obl should not be included in an InstallScript project since it overrides a number of events with code specific to InstallScript MSI projects (and other MSI specific functions exposed through to InstallScript).

Does the project have a reference to iswi.obl prior to upgrading to IS 2011?
0 Kudos
Richard_Winks
Level 6

I could find no reference in the old version. In fact I wouldn't have known to even look for it until this error occured.

Do you know what, in the project definition, triggers the inclusion? If I knew that I might be able to eliminate it.

Richard
0 Kudos
Richard_Winks
Level 6

NEVERMIND - I found it.

I went back and looked again. The old version included iswi.olb in the Build>Settings...>Compile/Link.

Apparently the IS 10.5 compiler didn't care about that.

I removed iswi.olb from the libraries and it Compiled just fine.

My apologies for the stupid question. Sometimes you just have to walk away and then come back to see something that is staring you in the face the whole time.

Richard
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

There were some changes to how library paths were handled in IS 2010, so that may account for the change in behavior. If the project builds fine without the iswi.obl library though, it is best to just remove any reference to it.
0 Kudos