cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spflugh
Level 3

Upgrade Version Software but not Database File

Hello,

I took over a WPF project from a consultant and he used InstallShield Limited Edition to build the install package and everything. I have been able to make updates and confirm that the software update works. My problem is that as part of the install there is a database file (.sdf) that is overwritten when I perform an upgrade to the software. I noticed that there is an option to prevent overwriting of the file but that isn't included in the Limited Edition Software version. I am unable to publish my needed update because when the install runs, the older version is uninstalled and the new version is installed which means their database file is deleted on the uninstall and then a new database file is installed which is not good as the user will lose all of their custom entries. I appreciate any help that be given to shed some light on this problem.

Is there a way that I can omit that database file from being uninstalled when I upgrade versions of software? Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi,

The behavior is due to the upgrade being a major upgrade. There is a never overwrite option, but unfortunately it is not available in the limited edition.
As a workaround, you can back up and restore the database using a custom action to keep the settings.
0 Kudos
spflugh
Level 3

Hi KYI,

Thank you for the response. I am running into issues with the upgrade process. The only way that I am able to get any update to take is if I change the Product Code. I know that changing the Product Code does in turn equal a Major Release update. If I do not make that change, I encounter an error when the new exe file is clicked. The error states that a product/version already exists on this machine. I have created an Upgrade Paths containing the last Product Version number as well. I must be missing something. I will keep looking. Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos