cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martenvanekeren
Level 2

Upgrade Problem - running the project is not the same as setup.exe

I've made an upgrade which should uninstall the previous version and install the new version of our product. Two custum actions are defined to backup the license file and restore it when the new installation is finished.

The following steps need to be done.
1) Backup license.
2) Uninstall Previous version.
3) Install New version (example files are on a different location).
4) Restore license.

After creating this with installshield everyting seems to work great when i push the "run" button in Installshield.
But now I have created a setup for release and use the setup.exe for upgrading the software and it behaves different from running the install within installshield. For example the Example files stay in the old location but the executable is updated to the new version.

So how is it possible to get a complete uninstall and install when you run within installshield and when you run the created "setup.exe" it behaves different and only the files which are changed are installed?

I'll hope someone knows what I am doing wrong. I'm getting quite desperate because it has been a few days now.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
dan_galender
Level 10

Go to Tools | Options and look at the Preferences tab. Is the option to "Uninstall before installing" checked? If so, when you run your installation from inside of InstallShield, the IDE will do an uninstallation of your product before running the install. Uncheck this option and your setup will behave from within InstallShield the same way it does if run from, say, Windows Explorer.

It doesn't sound like you've really created an installation that performs a Major Upgrade. Look at the help topic withing the Installation Designer (on the Upgrades view click on "What is a Major Upgrade") and see if you're authoring a Major Upgrade properly.
0 Kudos